If Christians really believe in heaven, then why would they want a long life?

It seems that things are a bit contradictory here. I have spoken to many Christians, and more than a few say that they are OK with the idea of us "unsaved" going to Hell, even if those unsaved are people they love. Such being the case, why would a Christian want to prolong life here on earth. After all, he will be reunited with his loved ones, at least the "good" ones, in heaven. Often, a Christian is comforted when a loved one dies with thoughts like "God gave him to me; now God wants him back". Christians often grieve when a loved one dies, yet if they were truly selfless, they would rejoice. After all, the loved one is in paradise. Did someone murder your son? Great, now he is in heaven; Did your daughter die of cancer? Wonderful, she is with God

It seems that when a Christian rushes to the doctor, he is merely prolonging a state that falls quite short of heaven. And yet, most of the Christians I know don't seem like they are in a big hurry to get to heaven. They seem to cling onto this life as tenaciously as we "unsaved" do.

Favorite Answer

Right on the button, Tony. So many people believe in immortal souls and eternal life, but why are they so afraid to die? I suspect our fear of death has increased a lot in modern times, even. I also suspect that they are not as blustering confident inside, that they will indeed avoid Hell. They are scared of the true state of their souls. And what they actually believe, is uncertain. They really aren't as certain as they like to profess, but they cannot be honest enough to fess up and admit doubt, even skepticism, because that would mark them as "damned". It's all mostly a social and superficial thing, to most of them.

I can understand what you're saying. But consider this. I'm a christian, and I'll do what I can to try to make myself well. God sent doctors and nurses to help us, so that God can work through them to do what they need to do. Even THEN, sometimes God says, no, it's time for you to go. If that's the case, then I will go. I'm not ok with my parents and my sister being in Hell when I'll be in Heaven. I pray for their salvation everyday, asking for God to wake them up before it's too late for them. I don't want them to end up there. If I were to lose a son who was a christian and accepted Christ, then I would more than likely let him go knowing where he'd be. Yes, I'd be devastated because I'm human, but if he's a believer, then I know he'll be ok. I worry about the opposite end, where let's say the son is not a believer in Christ and dies. I'll be even more upset at the fact that he will likely not be in Heaven when he dies not being a believer. The bottom line is, God's the boss. If he tells me it's time to go, then I'm to go no matter what happens, whether the doctor works on me or not. Even Christians have to be comforted. Any loss is devastating no matter what the circumstances involving belief. Sure, we want to live as long as we can. But if we can't, then that's the way it is, it's God's will, and that means I'll just get to him much sooner!!!

You're asking it is Christians have emotions like everyone else? Walking with God does not numb you of every feeling you have... Religion aside, a death is something to mourn over, and God knows that and understands it.

Jesus wept over Lazzarus... I'm pretty sure he was christian too. Not all Christians are the same either. Some don't live life the way you describe.

To answer you question, it's a Christians duty to spread the gospel and worship God... that's enough of a reason to continue workin' 9-5 daily.

.

The Bible says that death is an enemy.

We weren't made to die.

We were made to live in a Paradise Earth forever.

While death can be a release from pain and illness, it leaves a void in the lives of the ones who are left.

Christians are told not mourn as "the unbelievers" do, for we do have hope of a Resurrection.

Some faithful ones are called to Heaven, and some will be among...

"The Meek Who Inherit The Earth". Matthew 5:5. Revelation 21:1.

.

.

• connie

What a well thought out question...thank you. We christians DO look forward to life in Heaven much more than the life we have here with all the sorrows, sins and sadnesses, along with all the joys, BUT, we are still human and enjoy this life that God has given us, KNOWING that the hereafter will be much better. And we miss our loved ones that leave us, even tho we know they are much happier with God in Heaven. I guess you might say, we want the best of both worlds....but even so we shout "LORD JESUS COME QUICKLY!"

"then why would they want a long life?"

"They seem to cling onto this life as tenaciously as we "unsaved" do."

Because the xtian is at or near as afraid to die as anyone else is. The cliche's are just for comfort to themselves and/or others. Re the doctor example and the like...there simply is no place for logic in religious thought.

• Kumori

One main reason that I do not wish to die yet is because of those that I would leave behind. I still have a lot of work to do for God. I owe Him that much.

Another reason: despite the pain and suffering that we endure in our lives, God also gives us many things to rejoice over.

I'm not christian but a lot of my family is and they don't mind not having a long life, they say things like "If it's God's will."

And

"Praise be the Lord the first thing she/he will see is Jesus bring him/her out of the ground on resurrection day"

Meh... so... I'm not sure why the Christians you speak to want a long life, because it's in our genes to survive, I suppose assuming they have a strong faith, I think your right, it doesn't make sense, however, if they are struggling/floundering, probably because they worry they may burn in the end or aren't fully resolved that heaven is true?

• Jeanne

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. You must acknowledge Christ in all things, or you will be denied before the Father. Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. There's more to life than living a good life for yourself. You must also obey the will of the Father.

Any one can say " I am a christian " It is their life and ways that show that they are. If they are ok with people going to hell , they have no heart for the lost. They are to spread the Word of Gods free Gift to heaven through Jesus to every one.