Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicRock and Pop · 10 years ago

Do you think that "most" of the music from the last few years is talentless ?

What i mean is.. do you think that singers voices are messed around with too much with voice altering equiptment and all that. To me music should be about natural rawness.

Thank you for your thoughts :)

Best Answer

I think that the voice altering equipment is just taking it way too far. I would hate to go to a concert to see a live performance and not hear the true vocals, even if they sound different from the studio cut (sometimes I like a live version better, because of the feeling in it). Think of someone with a voice as wonderful as Ronnie James Dio who had true talent, and to use altering equipment on someone without such a voice, cheapens it somehow to me.

For the most I would say yes it's talentless. Good music is music that stands the test of time and is remembered and still played in years to come and a lot of the stuff out there the last few years will defo be forgotten.

Music doesnt have to be "natural Rawness", at the end of the day it's an artistic expression so whatever the artist feels works best for the song.

I can see why you asked Abbie as there is so much tweaking and sound effects inserted into a music track these days it does appear that anyone with half a good voice could produce a record / single.

However on saying that i do listen to the BBC Radio 1 live lounge which is a studio but the artists are asked to sing a cover song of another artist. This does pick out those that really cannot sing to well.

It does appear a good beat, loads of bass and a group of backing singers can mask out a slightly poor singer. Don't get me wrong they can sing better than i can or ever could and i suppose in this day an age its a case of good luck to them for making it as far as they did / have.

It's really not just the last few years ...

You can take almost any period in music history and find great, good, ok, and talentless music.

Today, because it's so easy for virtually anyone with or without talent to write a song, record it and sell it over the Internet without needing an agent or record company behind them that there is so much music out there today and even the radio stations are not playing the most popular because no one really know what that is anymore with hundreds of new genres to chose from so, I say that today, it's harder to find the good music because of the flood of new music in the marketplace but, that does not mean that there is no real talent out there. It just means you have to look a little harder to find what you like.

It's also true as it has always been that what one persons believes is great talent, someone else will categorize as just noise. So, there are always going to be the Good the Bad and the really Ugly music and artists and only your perspective sets them apart from one another.

Having said that ... Have you discovered Tokio Hotel yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJT_TKC3c

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ODdhNH0n

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTwYdiuQa

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKG-NGRcn

Youtube thumbnail

Enjoy!

I actually only started liking music for about a year. My music taste changes every week practically. I don't liste to the same mainstream stuff I did years ago though. I find any point in listening to it anymore.

Music has been like that for years. As recording becomes more high-tech, the more of the raw nature of rock n roll is lost. I'm not saying that things shouldn't be high-tech, but it's there more as a crutch than as a musical outlet and creativity.

For all my thirty years playing rock n roll, I always have, and still love simple four-chord songs, recorded on (or sounds like they're recorded on) a four-track.

• Adam

Not at all, music from just the past few years is actually some of my favorite music. I would never say that all mainstream is bad because a lot of it is actually really good in my opinion (Lady Gaga, Kid Cudi, and Paramore to name a few) but sure a lot of it is bad, to me at least. But there's a ton of great modern music that isn't mainstream right now.

For Metalheads there's the band Kamelot who has one of the most talented singers I've ever heard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFP1hn2W2hU

Youtube thumbnail

Or, for the people who don't like metal, The Black Keys is a very talented modern band in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBPGm4Fbo0Q

Youtube thumbnail

And there's a ton more I could link so no, I think music is as talented as ever today.

• David

No. Yes, there is a small (radio-friendly) segment of modern music which, if examined by itself, would lead one to believe music is going downhill.

But the emphasis has to be on "small segment." There is far too much music being made around the world, in so many different styles, for anyone to say "Oh, music's lost the plot" without seeming limited and small-minded.

• ..

The last few years theres been allot of comers and goers and noone has really stuck around to make atleast 5 good singles. Lady gaga is around but i just find her attention seeking and nothing new.

It disappoints me and all seeing some people sing live when they are rubbish and its a scam their voices get messed around with on singles. And even worse i hate the mimers! Urgh.

completley agree. what is the point of being an artist if the voice your projecting isn't even the one you put into that mic.

its a good thing most of us just dowload our music, if you go and pay for a cd now a days usually your paying for 15 bucks of lies and synthesized noiises.

doesn't go for all the bands/ artists out there though i know theres still some great ones, just harder to find now