Are Brits too chivalrous and too polite for American tastes?

You may totally exclude me from this question! Jake Gyllenhaal was just interviewed in the UK press and was his usual charming self but he let slip that he was taken aback by how charming and polite British people are and then he said "too polite, sometimes" When I came to the USA initially I was... show more You may totally exclude me from this question!

Jake Gyllenhaal was just interviewed in the UK press and was his usual charming self but he let slip that he was taken aback by how charming and polite British people are and then he said "too polite, sometimes"

When I came to the USA initially I was shortlisted after a few interviews for a job in TV Advertising sales and the director said I was 'too polite' and needed to be roughed up round the edges.

What does that mean?
Update: sam - I hate to brag but I was cast as Stratton in Attack of the Cybermen (1984) but broke my arm first day of filming and was replaced

Gosh darn it.
Update 2: sam - I was 4 when Dr Who first aired in black and white with William Hartnell as the original Doctor and I was smitten! Total 100% life-long fan.
Update 3: I have only seen clips of Torchwood and I'm a fan of Captain Jack for obvious reasons. My fave scene that i watch over and over is the goodbye scene with Rose Tyler and the Doctor on the beach in 'Bad Wolf Bay' "I'm burning up a supernova and two galaxies just to say goodbye" (or... show more I have only seen clips of Torchwood and I'm a fan of Captain Jack for obvious reasons.
My fave scene that i watch over and over is the goodbye scene with Rose Tyler and the Doctor on the beach in 'Bad Wolf Bay'

"I'm burning up a supernova and two galaxies just to say goodbye"

(or something like that)

sweet!
Update 4: Hi Sam

I think (having lived here in the USA for a number of years) they assume politeness is somehow insincere whereas I still bristle when someone says "Have a nice day" with a toothy grin.
Update 5: TEHEHABWA:

I had had a successful advertising career in the UK and the USA company offered me the job and the *roughing up* comment was said in semi-jest.