What do mechanics think of the Chrysler LHS?

http://madison.craigslist.org/ctd/1773357351.html

I'm looking to buy my first car. I want to find a decent car that is less than ten years old and is priced about $2500 staying within about 100,000 miles. My mechanic refuses to look at the LHS posted above because he does not like chrysler because they have bad transmission, a lot of problems, and they're expensive to fix.

1. Is this true?

2. What kind of car should I be looking for that's priced about right?

3. Where can I find these cars? (besides craigslist)

4. Does the link above seem ok? or should I keep looking?

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it

thanks. does anyone have a suggestion to a car that's got good gas, a decent sized engine and cheap. thank you!

• C-Tech
    Favorite Answer

As the owner of a 1996 LHS with 131,000 miles, your mechanic is half right. The inner tie rod end bushings wear out and cost anywhere from 300-500 to repair. Trans failures tend to be due to poor maintence. These are big luxury cars and like most big luxury cars the power options that break cost money to fix - that goes for Lexus to Mercedes to BMW. You might want to consider a smaller car with fewer options. See if the owner has maintenance records. The best used car, regardless of brand is one that drives well and is well maintained. Good luck.

Source(s): Airport Chrysler Tech 10+ years

Well Lori I have to agree with your mechanic. I owned a 1999 Chrysler 300 M (Cousin of the LHS) and it ran great but the price to get things fixed were through the roof. In the 3 years I owned it I had a shift cable break on me (Bad design), replace fuel pump and tie rod ends went bad (A peticular problem on big Chrysler cars). Those 3 things cost me over $1200 without the new set of front tires due to the bad tie rod ends. I know this is unAmerican but look for a used Toyota or Honda. Even if you have to spend a little more, you'll get a lot better car. I know a woman who has an older Lexus, paid $3000 for it and has over 270,000 miles on it. She bought it with 150,000 miles. You can also look on www.autotrader.com, the YAHOO Autos sight, or google different sites. I hope this helped.

Source(s): P.S. After I sold my 300 M I bought a 2003 Toyota Corolla and it was the BEST car I ever owned. I now have a 2010 Mazda 3 Touring Sedan and its a great little car too.

I have to agree with your mechanic. The LHS was a breed between what Chrysler had and what AMC had when Chrysler bought them out around 87. I never did like them and they had a lot of problems especially with the rack and pinion steering. If you want my opinion, try a Japanese or Korean made car around 5 years old. You can probably find what you are looking for in the Thrifty Nickle or your local news paper.

Source(s): Chrysler mastertech/adviser. Ret.

i personally have had good luck with chrysylers. you can try a different mechenac or differenant cars.