What's the difference between corn starch and corn flour?

I'm trying this chicken recipe which says to mix some corn starch with water, to make a sauce. What's the difference between cornflour and corn starch? Would normal flour work as well...?

Best Answer

I agree that cornstarch and corn flour are the same thing.

It's just that in the U.S. we call the flour made from corn "cornstarch," where it's called "corn flour" in the U.K.

In the U.S., we've also gotten used to calling the flour made from wheat just plain old "flour," so somehow we decided to use cornstarch instead of corn flour here to make it sound different, or perhaps because for one way it was used here in the beginning, it was called that?

Or "flour" could just as easily been called wheat flour or wheat starch.

"Corn meal" and "masa" are somewhat different from cornstarch/corn flour though.

Corn meal (and polenta/etc) just haven't been ground long enough to turn them into a flour.

Masa flours (for tortillas and for tamales) have been processed before grinding so that their vitamins will be more easily available to the body.

There are different types of "corn" too (field corn, sweet corn, etc) used for those final results.

• Karen

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axybT

I feel the only difference is the country of origin of the recipe and I would use the corn starch as a substitute. There is a product called corn flour and since I haven't heard of corn starch or flour starch, that is what I would use since it does the same thing and Anthony, you must be an ignorant retard for making those comments, because you obviously know nothing about cooking.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): 39 difference corn starch corn flour: https://biturl.im/ZCop2

In the US, corn meal is coarse ground maize, corn flour is finely ground maize, and corn starch is a thickener made from refined maize starch. Quick breads are corn meal, flat breads like tortillas are corn flour, and corn starch is used in gravies and pies

Typically in the northern parts of the US, there is not really a difference between the two in stores however, in the south there is a difference between the two. Corn flour is made from finely ground cornmeal and is made from the entire kernal whereas cornstarch is made from grinding just the endosperm.

• Alnisa

Both are used as a thickening agent. Corn starch gives a more clear and slimy texture. Flour gives a more cloudy and pasty texture. Both work well, but I think your recipe is just calling for flour.

No. Don't substitute corn flour and corn starch. Corn starch is a thickener. Corn flour is the meal used to make corn bread and muffins. You need the starch to thicken the sauce.

There's no differnece. cornflour is a term used in England and Europe. If the recipe calls for cornstarch and water, then you should use it.

HORRIBLE ANSWERS!

• HONESTLY, HOW CAN SOME OF U RIGHT JUST WAT U THINK AND ARE NOT SURE OF,, corn starch and corn flour are two different things altogether

basically same thing