Why did the Republican controlled Congress/White House run massive $300 BILLION deficits EVERY year?

From jan 20 2001-2007 republicans controlled the entire govt and ran massive deficits every year.

2002 - 258 billion deficit

2003 - 378 billion deficit

2004 - 413 billion deficit

2005 - 318 billion deficit

2006 - 248 billion deficit

2007 - 161 billion deficit

Avg deficit of 298 billion - (please note, the war was costing 50 billion yearly so that is not the cause)

Source: Congressional budget office

http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/108xx/doc10871/historicalta...

14 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

ROFL please now check out your messiah

please ..

• 10 years ago

The Bush tax cuts cost $1.2 trillion over 10 years. That takes away $120 billion per year.

Another big reason is the job market didn't recovery very fast. The recession ended in November of 2001. it should take 6-9 months to get jobs back once recessions end. The Bush tax cuts didn't bring jobs back until the second quarter of 2003. Obama's stimulus saw the first month of job growth in November 2009 which was just 4 months after the recession ended. Then we had a loss in December, and back to gains every month in 2010.

The deficit went down greater because a second round of tax cuts were passed in 2003 for FY 2004. Even though jobs came back, it wasn't enough to keep up with population gains 3 years after the recession was over. This means less people are paying taxes and more are on unemployment.

Also, check this out: http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=who+is+better+for... I think you'll really like this link. It shows in numbers how republican and democratic presidents have done economically in terms of GDP, deficits, employment gains per year, unemployment rate, inflation, etc. In every single case, the democrats are ahead.

• Anonymous
    3 years ago

Lets see... 378, 413 (election year), 318, 248, and 161... yup, we were just starting to fix up some of the money wasters you guys had set up. You know, cleaning up after you guys can be hard. And hey, look at that, take the 50 billion for the war out of those numbers and we're doing better than your Dem. gov all 'round. Quit your fussing, have you ever noticed that republicans don't tend to fuss about stuff like that? Even though you guys keep accusing us to try and make yourselves look better? I mean, you'd think that all the problems you guys have would be worth complaining about non-stop right? Oh wait, I forgot, we're actually mature! How silly of me.

• 10 years ago

We all must un-train ourselves from the Republican vs Democrat mindset. We must unite together as citizens and demand our government work for the good of its people and not for the lobbyist and corporations. Gvmt constantly tries to place labels on people so they can fight with each other on behalf of there party. Politicians have become beholden to large corporate interests pumping in millions of dollars, while the common people can only vote. Bush signed every bill sent to his desk except for a few during his last year.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Republicans are more Marxist than Dems. They have a long history of running up debt and expanding the government more than Dems.

Another lie is that Dems are weak on military. Dems spend more on military.

Scroll down to Figures 3 and 4, and Table 3. It is a close call who likes to expand the government more, but Republicans take a close lead.

http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publicatio...

Scroll down to the table. Dems are better at gdp growth, unemployment, and debt management. They also spend more on the military.

http://www.slate.com/id/2199810

Dems are also better at creating private sector jobs by 3:1. If you include Obama and the economic mess Bush left him, they still outperform Republicans by 2:1.

http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/201...

I really don't like the Dems and not being apologetic. However, I don't care for liars and hypocrites which many Republicans are. They are not for limited government and fiscal responsibility. They are the true Marxists.

• 10 years ago

The funny part is that you add up those 6 years and they are not much more then ONE year of Obama ($1.6 trillion deficit).

You are correct, however, that the wars on terror were not the sole cause for these deficits.

• pdooma
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Because they spent too much.

You're hanging your hat on something the GOP has realized already and if you haven't noticed, the incumbents in their party are being voted out in the primaries.

• 10 years ago

Obama must be a Republican too. Maybe we should just call them all Republicrats.

• The Republicans will just call you a liar and pour themselves another glass of Kool-Aid.

Remember, they only pay attention to spending if Democrats are doing it.

• BruceN
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

That's what happens when you lower taxes and spend more. They are don't do anything the Democrats don't do, they are just more hypocritical.

• 10 years ago

Because they don't like to spend? Hmm, I guess they spend just as much as Democrats, but lie to the public about being fiscally conservative.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.