Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 10 years ago

Is life an illusion that our mind creates?

Is what we're experiencing in life nothing more but an illusion? If that is the case, then all the answers to these questions will be just a false illusion projected by my mind and not actually thoughts from a living and thinking being. Do others get the feeling that life may be an illusion? If that is the case, then what you do, negative or positive, is essentially meaningless. If life is an illusion, then you can do whatever you want to the people around you because they're false beings that your mind is projecting to make you feel like you're experiencing something meaningful. Dying would be meaningless since it just another illusion of this false world. Does anyone else believe that we're surrounded be meaningless objects that are only important to us because we BELIEVE they're important. Are all these humans around me nothing more but nothingness?

@Malice: I wish people like you would not reply to my questions. I don't mind you disagreeing, but please leave out that crap such as "lol, all you do is sit here and think about this type of stuff". No I enjoy life too, but that doesn't stop me thinking deeply about it so please don't answer me if you're going to be immature like that and try to start crap.

• smart
    Favorite Answer

no, the mind is a phenomenon that life creates...

• lakes

Living A Life Of Illusion

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Is what we're experiencing in life nothing more but an illusion? If that is the case, then all the answers to these questions will be just a false illusion projected by my mind and not actually thoughts from a living and thinking being. Do others get the feeling that life may be an illusion? If...

Source(s): life illusion mind creates: https://bitly.im/Rmru6
  • ?

Life Is A Illusion

I can see how this argument started, because of the obvious gap between perceived reality and reality itself.

I think it's funny the philosophers who first discovered this idea are all dead, and the world they believed might all be an illusion continued to turn without them.

Anyway, there's several serious arguments against this. Mine isn't that serious. The way I see it, if all the world is merely an illusion created in my own mind, I would never have come up with the word "periwinkle," and Pluto would never have been demoted to non-planetary status. No way.

But, due to the possibility of mental illness, I can't tell you for sure if some of the people around you are no more than a figment of your imagination. When the existence of something is almost universally agreed upon, though, you can usually bet it's real.

• avnher6 years agoReport

If is and illution I`m sure like and any other game there are rules. The body cann`t distiguised while you are sleeping whaeter you are dreaming or experimenting real life if is an illution or real.. .People die while they bec they had a nightmare Leonardo Da vince.

Certain religions believe this to be so but I personally disagree because with no prior knowledge of the things that we see and interact with every day, it' s practically impossible for the mind to create all the things you see. There are also millions of things happening right now that you don't know about and probably never will. Taking that into consideration, this answer that I'm typing was thought by an individual whose mind was shaped by the influences he experienced in his life which you don't know about. What you're trying to explain is somewhat of a god-like thought process in which you created a world for you to live in where you can do what ever you want. An illusion would have no effect on you if you weren't real.

No, but God s mind may. In Psalms it says" he maketh me lie down in green pastures and beside still water. Could we be there now collectively?

The new testament says" this generation shall not pass away till all these things have occurred". If that s true, then time is being effected.

I don t know the answer but if this is a seamless illusion and we are here collectively, then wouldn t it be true that any thing we do to someone is, in a sense, real?

I use the bible because of its mystical and historic content. Perhaps when we die, we wake up from sleep. I know the bible mentions a veil being lifted and a much clearer reality.

God doesn t seem all that bothered by large groups of people being killed in the old testament so perhaps we are in a collective dream in God s mind. After all, this could answer how he is omnipotent and omnipresent. Just an observation..

I think that it is an illusion however maybe God is creating the illusion and not our own mind. It makes more sence to me if that were the case. In my own religion we believe that this world is false and just an illusion created by God to test us. I suppose I would have to go with that.

if nothing exists, how different individuals make relationships?

they are not illusion. they are not made by mare thoughts of a person or society or all living beings.

but they are only what they are. individuals make concepts about them and discriminate them. individuals adjust their views to suit their desires.

things are not illusions but views are. These views are not the right views - they are just assumptions with expectations.

When a person has understood things as they really are, there will be no need for questions.

Someone who wants to free themselves from the wrong views about things should try to see things as they are.

Source(s): the Buddha

all meaning is subjective. a chair could be the most important thing in someones life and mean nothing to another. what people believe varies from person to person. so essentially we all live in our own reality, which is our way of perceiving things. the universe simply exists, and we all perceive it a different way. to an animal, the only things that matter are surviving and reproducing. our brains developed so that we could think about things which makes us give things meaning

not an illusion, try kick *really hard* someone next to you, and tell them that was just an illusion, then you'll find out something