I love American literature- who do you suggest I read next?

Without writing a huge list of who I read and who I don't, my favourite American authors are John Steinbeck (who is the greatest American writer ever), Jack Kerouac, John Updike, F. Scott Fitzgerald, JD Salinger, Alice Walker, Maya Angelou, Jeffrey Eugenides, Dave Eggers, Annie Proulx, Augesten Burrows, Mark... show more Without writing a huge list of who I read and who I don't, my favourite American authors are John Steinbeck (who is the greatest American writer ever), Jack Kerouac, John Updike, F. Scott Fitzgerald, JD Salinger, Alice Walker, Maya Angelou, Jeffrey Eugenides, Dave Eggers, Annie Proulx, Augesten Burrows, Mark Twain, Nathaniel West, Ken Kesey... Non-American writers I read are Charles Dickens, Turgenev, Nabokov, Graham Greene, Sue Townsend, Tove Jansson, Esther Freud... Who really captures the American novel- who should I read next? What makes an American novel different to a British novel?
Update: My personal opinion over the difference between American and British novels is that America doesn't have the length of literary history and printing history that Britain has and as such American novels are freer, not completely free because obviously works crossed the Pond, of the influence of the older,... show more My personal opinion over the difference between American and British novels is that America doesn't have the length of literary history and printing history that Britain has and as such American novels are freer, not completely free because obviously works crossed the Pond, of the influence of the older, canonical literature Britain has produced.