What are your favorite film adaptations of books?

Mine are the LOTR films (I'm counting them as 1, because it really is a unified work); Like Water for Chocolate, Sense and Sensibility (with Emma Thompson). Very often film adaptations irritate me no end: If they wanted to film a story OTHER than the one in the book, why didn't they just write that? Why... show more Mine are the LOTR films (I'm counting them as 1, because it really is a unified work); Like Water for Chocolate, Sense and Sensibility (with Emma Thompson).

Very often film adaptations irritate me no end: If they wanted to film a story OTHER than the one in the book, why didn't they just write that? Why take the title and characters and ignore the story? But every once in a while I come across one that seems to, for me, anyway, capture the spirit of the book and keep to the storyline.