Why is my dogs breath soooo stinky?

i have a 4 year old Alaskan malamute. i was in my living room watching t.v for a wile. i came into the dining room where he (dakota) had been hanging out for the past hour. hes a big fluffy dog so he pants alot..... well anyway i walked in the room and gaged. i could smell his breath sooo badly. it smelled like... show more i have a 4 year old Alaskan malamute. i was in my living room watching t.v for a wile. i came into the dining room where he (dakota) had been hanging out for the past hour. hes a big fluffy dog so he pants alot..... well anyway i walked in the room and gaged. i could smell his breath sooo badly. it smelled like fish.

i dont know how to make his stinky breath go away. and its been like this for over 2 years..he will not let me brush his teeth. ive tried numorouse times with all ending in fail.
ive also tried feeding him the breath freshining dog snacks. many different flavors brands kinds anything. his breath still reeks. i mean its bad when it is smelling up a whole room and making people gag.... is their some home remedy or something i can try out? what if fed him a little baking soda? whould that help at all?

some one please help out and please dont refer me to a bag of dog biscuts that are 50$ a bag. cuz i cant afford that.