Can I stay in the EU on a tourist visa once my work visa has elapsed?

I'm moving to Finland in August and will be staying until June on a work visa. I would like to stay in the European Union and travel around for a bit after my work in Finland ends. Am I able to stay in the EU on a three-month tourist visa once my work visa expires or will I need to immediately leave the EU... show more I'm moving to Finland in August and will be staying until June on a work visa. I would like to stay in the European Union and travel around for a bit after my work in Finland ends. Am I able to stay in the EU on a three-month tourist visa once my work visa expires or will I need to immediately leave the EU after I finish with my job? I am American, if this makes any difference at all. Any links to official websites would be greatly appreciated; I tried to do a google search on the subject but didn't come up with any helpful results.
Update: ETA: I realized that my original post did not distinguish between EU and Schengen countries. Finland, as well as several other countries which I would like to visit after I finish my work, is part of the Schengen Agreement. As a US citizen, I know that I can stay visa-free for up to 90 days in any Schengen... show more ETA: I realized that my original post did not distinguish between EU and Schengen countries. Finland, as well as several other countries which I would like to visit after I finish my work, is part of the Schengen Agreement. As a US citizen, I know that I can stay visa-free for up to 90 days in any Schengen country, but I don't know if I am allowed to do so after having already been in a Schengen country for ten months prior on a work visa. Hope this clarifies a bit!