Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentHealth Care · 10 years ago

How to state my medical terminology knowledge on my resume?

I'm applying for a temporary data entry job at a hospital. This is the description of the duties: "Responsible for completing data entry of designated patient information from the paper medical record into the electronic medical record."

They say that knowledge of medical terminology and surgical procedures is a requirement for the job (along with experience with computers, data entry, etc.) Anyways, I have no formal medical education or experience other than an AP anatomy/physiology class I took 6 years ago in high school. However, I have always been interested in health/medicine and read medical articles/watch a lot of Discovery Health type shows. Also, I have a sister that is a nurse and a cousin that is a pharmacist, so I'm around people that are using medical terminology a lot. I definitely have more knowledge of this subject than the average person, but I'm not sure how to say I have this knowledge since I do not really have formal education/experience. How do I quantify this on a resume without saying something cheesy like "I read a lot of health articles, and have family members working in the health industry"?

As some background, I have a bachelors degree in international policy, and I am a newly licensed commercial pilot unable to get a flying job due to the current state of the economy, and I have clerical and data entry experience from working in an accounting office back in college. This is why the temporary data entry job piqued my interest.

• Cheryl
    Favorite Answer

the reality is you have no medical terminology experience ... a class six years ago in high school no less, watching the discovery channel or having family members in medical fields is not going to get you the job ... if you do not have medical terminology and you want a job like this, take the course ... it is less than a year and it will open up jobs in a hospital setting which usually pay well ... i own a medical transcription company and from a hiring point of view, i would throw your resume away ... there are so many qualified people that your resume with the requirements of the job do not match ... i can not tell you how many people apply for a posting for experienced medical transcriptionist and people email me telling me they can type fast and have worked in a clinic ... medical terminology is more than you see on tv shows and surgical procedures are even more complex ... i would look for a job that is data entry only or take a short course to be able to work at a hospital ... and don't feel bad, we are all over-educated and under-employed .... i have a university degree and two college diplomas and i still make my living as a transcriptionist ...

Knowledge Of Medical Terminology

Truth is, you do not have what they require. Medical terminology is a lot more complex then you make it out to be, and each field (ie surgery) has it's own little set of abbreviations, etc that you need to know. There is no way you would know these unless you took a course.

Pharmacists are not related to surgical terminology- again that is useless. And having your family being a nurse is also useless- its not as though they come home and speak as they would in a hospital. My father is a landscaper, but what do I know about that?

I would look into other data entry jobs, or take a course in the medical terminology you are after. I want to warn you though, I went to a hiring fair the other day, and the whole room was filled with unemployed medical transcriptionists, etc. Apparently not that easy for someone WITH schooling in this to find a job.

Don't put this on your resume, because you WILL be quizzed in the interview and you will wind up looking foolish. Instead, your best bet is to take the angle of having a lot of experience in data entry, quick learner, etc.

Source(s): RN, BSN
  • fout

Resume Terminology

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

They say that knowledge of medical...

Source(s): state medical terminology knowledge resume: https://tr.im/12Lai
  • Susan

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axKAr

I would group your back office skills together & your front office skills together (currently they are mixed) as it allows an employer a bit more ease in finding linked skilled sets that they might be seeking. It also just reads better than jumping to CPR from customer service, sterile trays from telephone etc. Otherwise, it looks pretty good.

• Sharon

it looks good,but i see you have alot of bullets.also you should clean up your skills sections,you dont have to get down little details.try something like Skills Certified Phlebotomist Certified EKG technician Knowlege in Medical terminology you also wrote medical reception on the top,you dont need to give details,they know what that means.but its good,my medical assistant program was only 6 weeks! we did hands on from the first day,and literally recited the answers to the exam,are instructor only taught us the basics.