I'm new to guitar and am having issues with the F chord.?

I can't seem to make it do anything but go "plink" and it is bugging me! lol. Know of any alternate fingerings, or any hints that can help me make it actually have the strings vibrate instead of just going "plink?"

Favorite Answer

Absolutely, those barre chords in the lower registers (like the Bb and F chords) and even partial chords, like F on the top four strings, can be really hard to do when you start out. You are definitely not alone :-)

The obvious thing is that it does take quite a bit of hand and finger strength to do this effortlessly. This will take time to develop.

However, there's a major issue which way too many seems to forget and that is how your guitar has been set up. A guitar which has no real (or insufficient) set up, will commonly be very hard to play on the first frets.

When you have your guitar adjusted with light strings - set for proper neck relief, action (string height) at the bridge and action at the nut - you will have a guitar which is far easier to handle.

You can read more about this issue on the page below if you want to. I suggest you take the guitar to a qualified repairer or luthier (guitar builder) to have it looked at. You will often times be floored by the difference between a hard to play guitar and one which has been adjusted for your level of skill and playing style.

Source(s): 40+ years of setting up, repairing, playing and dealing with guitars. http://www.learnelectricguitarnow.net/guitar-set-u...

Unfortunately, the right answer is you just have to keep practicing until you get it. I had the same trouble when I started learning guitar back when I was 7 years old. I'm 44 now and have no trouble playing an F chord. Eventually you'll get it too. When I play an F chord I barr the first fret across all 6 strings with my index finger. I then play the A on the 2nd fret 3rd string using my middle finger, I play the F on the 3rd fret 4th string with my pinky, and the C on the 3rd fret 5th string with my ring finger. This give a full F chord with notes on all 6 strings (F, C, F, A, C, F). If you are having trouble barring all 6 strings with your index finger though, you can just barr the first 2 strings with your index finger and just not strum the 6th string. After you get that chord sounding clean you can go back to trying to barr all 6 strings. As an exercise you can try just barring all 6 strings with your index finger until you can get all 6 strings to sound cleanly. You may have to experiment with where you put your finger. Eventually you'll build strength in your left hand and it will get easier, trust me.

Oh, you might also be tempted to wrap your left thumb around the neck to get better leverage. Don't do that. It will throw all your left had fingers out of alignment with the strings and you'll end up muting strings and getting dull plinks instead of clear tones. Keep your thumb straight up against the back of the neck opposite your index & middle finger. Don' t try to cheat as a beginner or you'll develop habits that will be hard to change later and will hurt your guitar playing.

If it's any consolation, every beginning guitarist has a problem with the F chord. The only alternative is a movable E position barre chord at the first fret, but if there's one thing that beginners find more difficult than the F chord, it's barre chords in general. Keep practicing and you'll get it.

• Adam D

F and C are pretty hard to play. Just keep practicing, you'll get it once your fingers become accustom to playing and they will strengthen up a bit in a few weeks hopefully.

e--1-

B--1-

G--2-

D--3-

A--x-

E--x-

This should be how you're playing it. Your pinky finger should be on the D string, 3rd fret. Your Ring finger on the G string on the 2nd fret, and your index finger should be laying flat on the B and small e string, 1st fret.... and nothing should be touching the A and E strings.

From there, learn to switch from this chord to C, which is:

e--0-

B--1-

G--0-

D--2-

A--3-

E--x-

You simply keep the same fingering, and remove the index finger from pressing 2 notes, so it's only on the B string, and you move your other two fingers up 1 string each.

The F chord and B chord can be tough. You could always do the power chord thing and just fake it.

Short of the power chord way, just keep practicing...you'll get it.