How come Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back wasn't nominated 4 Best Picture?

Happy 30th Empire Strikes Back! Anyways, I know Star Wars was, at it's time, the number one Movie in the box office! It even got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture! Three years later, the sequel came out. It was called, GOSH! DO I EVEN HAVE TO TELL YOU!?!?!?! And it was declared "better than the... show more Happy 30th Empire Strikes Back!

Anyways, I know Star Wars was, at it's time, the number one Movie in the box office! It even got an Oscar nomination for Best Picture! Three years later, the sequel came out. It was called, GOSH! DO I EVEN HAVE TO TELL YOU!?!?!?! And it was declared "better than the original". I agree completely! But it didn't even get nominated for Best Picture! Nor did it do better than the first one in the Box-office! Why? Why wasn't it nominated for best picture? I know it probably didn't do so well in the Box-office was because it people didn't expect much from it. If it wasn't that, then why?

ps Why was it called "The Empire Strikes Back"?
pss Which is better: Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back or Star Trek II: the Wrath of Khan?
psss May the Force Be With You...