Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

How do low ranking soldiers in the Army treat higher ranking enlisted men?

We all know enlisted men salute officers but my question is, do low ranking soldiers(like privates and corporals) stand at attention or talk when giving permission? Like how would they act when around a staff Sergeant or SFC. Basically around a non-commissioned officer.

Best Answer

When you are new or addressing an NCO that you don't know, proper military courtesy is advised. IE when reporting Parade Rest etc.

If you know them or work for them things are much more informal, but the same thing goes for Butter Bars too. In a platoon or smaller sized element, you are all a team, you're all friends and you are all in it together.

Of course if you are a **** head you could spend your entire enlistment at parade rest.

Good question, i like this one.

Always talk with respect however it all depends on the situation, say for example in the naffy (pub on a military base) no you wouldn't but you would always talk with respect and you definitely wouldn't ignore them.

You would only stand at attention when you are required to, example at a roll call, in a meeting with a higher officer.

Soldiers beneath myself, i would never expect to salute me as i walk by them, on or off base. i'd much rather them treat me as a brother/friend.

In my experience a new recruit will be more worried about meeting someone higher in the ranks because they wont know how to act straight away.

Source(s): 6 years in the Armed Forces and proud.

I think, When the Army Men Helping the Country , While the Country Experiences the National Calamities , Such as Flooding, Earthquake and Major Disaster of the Nature, I Feel PROUD of Them. But, While They are Killing the Other Country Men in the Name of Border Patrol, I am Not Happy with the Army.

A Corporal is not a low ranking Soldier. Many Corporals have their own squad to train and are considered a leader amongst the PFC. When on duty, they show great Respect, but when off duty they just act like any regular Soldier.

in theory you will stand at parade rest for any enlisted member who out ranks you. even e-2 to a e-3. and that does happen still in some infantry unit's. but for the most part it is going to depend on the NCO you are addressing.

i had this one jerk..... yes Cpl. Mack i'm talking about YOU..... he made me stand at parade rest and request permission to Speak.

usually when you work regularly with a higher NCO you just talk to them like normal. but don't forget to address them by their rank. when you are in trouble or don't know the NCO well. then you should stand at parade rest till they tell you to at ease.

most units don't enforce the parade rest rule very much. i personally think it slows down progress. stop what you are doing to stand that way just to say something. waist of time.

I was in the military, and the only protocol like that was in boot camp, where recruits had to stand at "parade rest" when addressing a drill instructor.

Otherwise, there is nothing special. They just outrank you, so they get advantages over you, including supervisory roles.

• James

They would treat the higher ranks with respect, but no, they do not salute.

With respect.

Source(s): Army wife