My daughter is having surgery should she bring a stuffed animal?

My daughter is 11 and she is having her tonsils and adenoids removed in about 4 days. She is having them took out at childrens vanderbelt you CAN bring a stuffed animal they said they would even let you bring it to the operating room LOL! But anyways she has has 2 surgerys (hernia repairs) she isnt sacred that much she wants to bring it but is she to old? She wanted to bring a bear!

NO mean answers. . . they WILL be reported!!

Favorite Answer

no she is not too young- haha id bring my stuffed animal if i had to go to surgery lol. if she wants to and it gives her comfort let her. im sure no one at the hospital will care if she brings her bear - they dont care if it will help her feel less scared what the hell. even if she says she is not scared everyone usually has a little worry she just does not want to show it. it is not such a big deal really let the kid bring her bear -and hope surgery goes well for her :)

If she wants to bring one, certainly let her! This surgery is different from her previous two, so she might like to have the stuff animal there. It may make her feel more comfortable, especially after the surgery when her throat will be incredibly sore (I know from experience, I had my tonsils and adenoids removed at age 9). Also, my son had surgery at 3.5 months. He didn't bring a stuff animal because he was too young, but there were several other kids of all ages at the hospital that had them. It's better to just let her bring the stuffed animal - better for her to have it than to wish she did. Take care!

Not only would I allow her to bring the bear, I would commend her on being BRAVE enough to go through with another surgery - she obviously knows how scary it can be. If she wanted to bring a rock into the surgery room then so be it, as long as she feels just *that* much better.

Just a note: My niece is 13 and she still brings her doll to my house for sleepovers even though she (doll) is stuffed away in her suitcase and never sees the light of day; she still brings it. It's just what she feels makes it all right.

Your daughter is a brave girl. Let her know that it is more than okay. And even if you have to lie, tell her that is what you'd do, too. She needs to know that it's not a silly thing.

She's not to old. I'm 24 years old and I have stuffed animals all over my house. I took my favorite blanket (that I use as an additive to my pillow) with me to the hospital when my daughter was born- 11 weeks ago! Let her take it. I see no problem with it. It'll be something familiar to her from home.

Surgery is scary no matter what your age. If the bear will make her feel better then let her take it. Don't raise the kid's stress level over this. No matter how old you are when something scares or hurts you, it turns you back into a kid. She already is a kid. A scared kid. Give her the bear.

age has nothing to do with it. tell her to bring the bear if the hospital allows it....who cares if she's 11?

It should be all about her comfort! If she wants to bring a stuffie, than why not!? Just as long as she's comfortable :)

• Most definitely, who wouldn't let their child take reassurance with them.

bring it

Yes if it will comfort her you should