I have a question for fantasy writers?

Actually it's more of a survey.

1. How old are you?

2. Have you completed a novel? If so, what is it called and what is it about?

3. Do you outline your book, characters, and world?

4. How many novels are you currently working on? Are they all fantasy? What are they about?

5 What age do you write for?

I'll answer those too.

1. I'm 14

2.I haven't yet completed a novel but I've come close a few times.

3. I outline everything.

4. I'm only working on one novel right now. It's basically about this boy who was abandoned at birth and has only a picture to remember his mother by. One day he sees paintings of a woman that look almost exactly like his mother. When a series of strange events bring him to his mother he is delighted because she is beautiful, rich, and just like the woman in the paintings. He lives with her but one day he discovers a strange book in the family library. He reads it and finds out a dark family secret that haunts him.

5. Basically young adult/teen.

Favorite Answer

1. 38

2. I have completed four novellas and many short stories. The only thing published so far is two poems written in high school. One short story, "Where Weeping Willows Whisper," is about a little girl and her father moving to a country home with an immense garden after her mother dies. Her dad is a horticulturist, and knows that plants react to people talking to them. One day a Japanese Lily starts talking back to her...

My novella, "Resonance," is about two people who have a strong spiritual connection, but they spend most of the story unaware of this connection. She has a life full of tragedy, and he's obsessed with history as well as overcoming drug addiction. They each have the answers the other is looking for...

3. Yes to all three. The research that comes with writing is always what I call "Fun Frustration." Besides, knowing your characters' backgrounds before the audience does can be key...they may need to say something up front that won't make sense until much later.

4. I'm working on two short stories and one screenplay. The first (The Pelican Man) - only two characters, set in a church in London, 1666. A physician and the young girl he's treating experience a role-reversal of sorts when she gets better and he contracts the disease. Outside, the Great Fire of that year begins to rage.

The second (Beyond the Crimson Curtains) - a historical action/romance about an English seafarer in India who dreams of visiting the home of his ancestor and muse, Saint Elizabeth; but, he finds an unexpected new muse when he falls in love with an Indian girl while photographing the landscape. Her name is Priya, and she's steeped in tradition, but has her own dreams of following her creative impulses. A new art form brings them together.

The screenplay, my first (Confluence) - About a newly emancipated slave girl who travels into Indian Territory (present-day Oklahoma) in 1871 and finds it to be the most unique place in the country, where there are more Indians and black folks than white. She wants nothing more than to live free and educate herself, but finds so many destitute children that come to depend on her, that she seeks the will to entirely let go of her own dreams in order to support those of others. It doesn't help that she finds herself in a love triangle, either.

5. Some are adult, some are all ages. I wrote two versions of "Where Weeping Willows Whisper," one of which is only for adults, and it runs kind of like a Twilight Zone episode, and the other is for younger kids.

I'm always happy to see young people fall in love with writing! My sister is your age and in the same position. Please stick with it...develop your skills and give the world good, involving stories! You already know how to write synopses with a good hook. (A good synopsis only gives so much away...)

• Cher

1. How old are you?

23

Novels, not yet. Short stories, I've got several. Most are fanfic published under WargishBoromirFan on FanFiction.net, but I've got a few originals up my sleeve that I'm saving for an editor.

Yes, yes, and only so far as is required for plotting. Coming mostly from a fanfic background, I got sort of spoiled with having worlds where most of the logic was already hacked out for me, so I find early drafts of my original works tend to suffer from "throw and go" world-building. Werewolves? Awesome. Throw it in. Navy? Sure, why not? Aliens? Sweet, put 'em in there. How do these all tie together and affect one another? Er... that's what the second draft is for.

I've only got one big original novel in the works right now, (see "throw and go" and add a strong brother-sister bond or eight) along with two fanfic novellas I'm currently writing, four or five more on hold that I mean to get back to someday, and several short stories. I tend to do sci-fi as much as fantasy, and romance, family drama, humor, and a touch of mystery, horror, and tragedy tend to get into the mix, too. I wish I could write better action and suspense than I do...

5 What age do you write for?

Depends on the work. I don't dumb down my stories, but I've got a few about friendships between very young kids that could be enjoyed by grade schoolers and some about the growth of such friendships into adulthood that are definitely meant for mature teens and up. Basically, I write the sort of stories I enjoy reading, which are generally pretty upbeat and mostly family-friendly, but do have a bit of a cynical streak in that life isn't rated PG, and not everything in the story will end well.

1. I'm 14

2. No

3. Sometimes. I find that if I outline it, it becomes harder to actually write the story because I have to follow strict guidelines. I like the freedom of steering the story where I would like.

4. Currently working on 4 stories. All have aspects of fantasy about them, some more so than others. Upon Waking - more of a sci-fiction story than fantasy, but it does have fantasy in it. You answered my question about this story, thank-you.

Switch- It's about the Light World and the Shadow World and how people are able to Switch with their shadows in order to fight Shadow Demons.

Down Cast- About angel's kicked out of heaven and are trying to earn their way back in by defending the Gates from demons. Four teenage angles banned from Heaven are sent down to Earth to stop the Fallen Angels plan to summon an Ancient Demon to destroy the Gates.

Distant Calls- Takes place in an ancient fantasy realm. About a young girl who is kidnapped by a neighboring country and has to fight her way back through the dark truths and secrets surrounding her home.

5. Young adult/teen.

1. How old are you? 23

2. Have you completed a novel? If so, what is it called and what is it about? Yes, but you'll have to read it once the publisher is done with it.

3. Do you outline your book, characters, and world? Characters yes, World Yes, book no

4. How many novels are you currently working on? Are they all fantasy? What are they about? 4, yes, werewolves, were-everything, vampires, dragons

5 What age do you write for? Depends.

1) 14

2) No.... I always get a good start though. I'm just waiting for the right idea.

3) Sort of... I put stuff into a gigantic web, so it looks really messy but it works for me haha

4) At the moment? Only one. It's not exactly fantasy though, the one I'm working on now is like, realistic. But I've done fantasy in the past. The one now is about a guy who loses his memory after he falls in love...?

5) Young adult/teen... sometimes children.

1. How old are you? 13

2. Have you completed a novel? If so, what is it called and what is it about? Not yet, but I'm close[:

3. Do you outline your book, characters, and world? I outline everything :D

4. How many novels are you currently working on? Are they all fantasy? What are they about? I'm working on about 5 novels, all fantasy. There about vampires, mermaids, wizards, relationships, betrayal, princesses, princes, castals, aliens, outer space, anime, etc :D

5 What age do you write for? Teens.

1. How old are you?

16

nope

no

no

5 What age do you write for?

dnt write

Source(s): jus answerd cus you asked lmao

Thanks for answering mine :)

1. 13

2. No

3. I try to, but it's really complicated

4. I'm working on 3 I think. Pretty much they're all fantasy. The first one is called Element, and it's about 4 kids with elemental powers trying to save the world. I'm trying not to make it so dull-sounding :). The second one is called Rise, and it's about a romance between a vampire and werewolf. Sorta common I know, but I'm trying to make it different. The third is called The Differents, and it's about a brother and sister who are turned into monsters after being taken to a science facility, but are trying to stay good. I haven't really gotten far on this one yet.

5. I write for anyone who wants to read them :).

Thanks for answering mine.

1. I'm 15

2. No not yet. I'm working on a few though.

3. Yes, Briefly.

4. Three, Mine are usually more than one genre. Two are Fantasy/Horror and the other is a psychological thriller.

5. A mixture. But it tends to be above my own age group.

1. not telling

2. it's called Echo and it's about faeries and a place called Cretha. (sounds really stupid but im not good at explaining)

3. I made a list of characters and their profile, then I made a list of major events then put them in order. I make plot mountains, diagrams, list and I even ask my friend(whose a manga artist) to draw a comic for me of the main events.

4. I am working on 5. two are fantasy, one is realistic fiction, and one is historical fiction(french revo.), one is paranormal(ghosts and stuff)

5. young adult