Canada is doing better than America economically. Is it because of health care?

I'm seeing statements on here that the Canadian health system is bankrupting the country. Where are you guys getting this info?

Economically Canada is out of the recession. America? Still stuck.

http://www.torontosun.com/life/2010/06/02/14226726...

I think because Canada has more healthy people their productivity is increasing faster.

Update 2:

Speaking of beer, the largest beer maker in Canada merged with the Coors company. During the merger Molson closed many of its breweries in Canada and is now brewing beer in the US. Which is another reason US should be doing better than Canada, but it is not.

http://www.just-drinks.com/news/molson-to-close-br...

Update 3:

Japan emerged from a recession last year. It also has public health care and its population is much much larger than Canada. I don't think population is it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2009/aug/17/jap...

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Health care does benefit Canada, because their companies don't get saddled with health cost and so are more competitive. Whereas forex American automakers are saddled with thousands of dollars in health insurance costs per worker.

• Login to reply the answers
  • V2
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Canada has less people, so in general, every person counts. At least it counts more than in USA.

With over 300 million population, open borders and loose immigration laws, USA can care less about health of its citizens. If somebody is chronically sick, he/she can be easily replaced with healthy immigrant from third world country. There is no need to invest in US citizens.

• W.
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

Canada is still left of the US, but they are moving toward the right. We are moving to the left. That's why they are improving and we are still declining.

• 10 years ago

Canadian beer has a higher alcohol content (5%) than US beer so I think they are reading their economy indicators through "[statistical] beer goggles". Eh?

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I think it is from all the exports of maple syrup and Carling's Black Label beer.

• Sean r
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

When they get the same population as the US then compare how well they do

• 10 years ago

It is because Obama is throwing away trillions of dollars.

No nation can do that and have a good economy.

The "Health Crash" will doom us all.

• 10 years ago

ok....do you think it also might have something to do with it's immigration policies, population size and educational philosophies as well? or do you discount those because they go against liberal ideas for the U.S.?

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

they are doing better because they don't have near the population as we do

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

No, it is because their Leader is not spending the country into oblivion.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.