• Science & Mathematics >
  • Engineering
  • Science & Mathematics >
  • Engineering

How to achieve a 2 hour fire rated party wall ?

• Follow publicly
  • Follow privately
  • Unfollow
I have an 8" CMU party wall with each unit being 21' wide. I need to span a steel beam across each unit by attaching them to the CMU party wall which would either rest on a ...show more
Best Answer
I am not an engineer or architect but a place to start is the building code for the local where you are building. There are big differences in what is allowed when it comes to steel beams and load bearing CMU walls.

One thing to keep in mind is that steel beams can conduct enough heat energy to start fires on the other side of an otherwise fireproof wall. I would look at making sure that the beam is not continuous from one side of the wall to the other.
  • 0
    0
  • Comment
I have an 8" CMU party wall with each unit being 21' wide. I need to span a steel beam across each unit by attaching them to the CMU party wall which would either rest on a plate in a pocket within the wall or somehow span through the wall. Either way there has to than be a 2 hour fire rate.
Sign In 

to add your answer

Who is following this question?

%
    BEST ANSWERS
    Member Since:
    Points: Points: Level
    Total Answers:
    Points this week:
    Follow

Unfollow

Block

Unblock