What happens to my escrow balance if I refinance with the same bank?

I know if I refi with a DIFFERENT bank they will send me a check within 21-45 days (depending on state), but what if I refi with the SAME bank? Can I apply my escrow balance of the old loan to the closing costs of the new loan or would I have to provide new funds for my closing costs and wait for the bank to send me my remaining escrow balance from the old loan?

Favorite Answer

call both the escrow firm and the bank and let them know what you are sharing here; take the

mystery out of this NOW!!

Source(s): RE broker

Even with the same company they will set up new escrows, you will receive a refund on the old escrow balance, which by law has to be mailed by the 30th day after the first loan is paid off.

Source(s): 24 years mortgage lender.

If and when you refinance with the same lender, generally it will continue your escrow in a fashion similar to that in your previous loan agreement. Understand that your escrow account is nothing more than a 'monthly payment deposit' to handle taxes and insurance payments due at a certain time. If you change lenders, you will be paid out whatever is in the escrow account, but you will be required to replenish a similar account at your NEW lender.

MOST lenders (not all) will apply the escrow balance to your payoff, so you are getting credited for it at closing. Then you will fund a whole new escrow account at close. It's generally a wash.

Source(s): Mortgage lender

I have been browsing more than four hours today searching for answers to the same question, but I haven't found a more interesting discussion like this. It's pretty worth enough for me.

That's wrong