Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

?
Lv 4
? asked in TravelFranceOther - France · 1 decade ago

Could I live in Martinique/La Reunion without a Visa?

I'm a British citizen, and therefore a member of the EU. Martinique, Guadeloupe, and La reunion, from what I believe, are French territory and therefore belong to the EU. Does this mean I can move there with out a visa, and get work there, and live there, legally? thanks

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Martinique/ Guadeloupe /La Réunion, whilst part of France, are not in the Schengen space so do NOT have the same immigration rules as metropolitan France for all foreigners. However EU citizens can go and reside and work there, and are allowed to stay for more than three months. Since you are a British citizen you do not need a visa, but you must have a valid passport to be admitted, stay and work there legally.

Presumably, since you are interested in settling there, you speak and understand French, so you can check for yourself on this website under the title"Avez-vous besoin d'un visa?":

http://www.action-visas.com/e-voyageur/?destinatio...

However there is a shortage of jobs there and unemployment is running even higher than in metropolitan France, so finding well renumerated work may prove difficult.

• ny
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

For European people coming from an EU country, working in Martinique isn't a problem, do not forget though that the unemployment rate is high. Guadeloupe , Martinique and Reunion are an integral part of France so it has the same rules as France for visas and work permits.

• 4 years ago

Moving To Martinique

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

Temporarily yes. Just get off the plane and stay you can start the paperwork after you're camped in with your aunt. No doubt she will know a lawyer or be able to find out the right procedures without getting scammed.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.