I have to meet with a Minister of our local Presbyterian Church?

My fiancee has scheduled to meet a Minister of our local Presbyterian Church today; she is trying to get our five month old daughter baptized. Apparently, since we are not members of the church the Minister has to meet with us first.

I have no idea what kind of questions we are going to be asked, and honestly I'm not sure how honest I should be when Im answering these questions of his.

I have always been somewhat religious (believed in a higher power), and loved the symbolism and confidence surrounding Christ. However, I have a somewhat bad perception of religion alltogether and truly believe it has been abused by those in power throughout history and been used as a tool to control the masses. I also believe much of the "rules" these "faiths" expect you to follow have been made up by man - not god: marriage, sunday worship, etc.

I donot go to church, and I KNOW my child is not damned for eternity becuase I and her mother are not married.

*What questions will this Minister ask us, and how honest should I be with him?

I donot want to disrespect him, and I donot want to hurt my child's chances of getting her baptism: this is very important to my daughters mother for some reason. I also donot want to go in there today feeling like an outcast because I follow god in my own way, not the way others say I should.

To be quite honest I find it strange that we need to be interviewed before he would Baptize my daughter. Is this not his duty? In fact, should I be the one asking his questions, ie: Why do you think I should let you baptize her? etc.

Anyways thx for reading, and special thanks to those whom give advice/comments

Best Answer

Read only the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs of Donna's answer. The first paragraph is incorrect. Here's how it works.

The pastor will ask if either of you have received Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. If not, the child will not be baptized. Just as with adult baptisms in other churches, there must be an assumption of faithfulness first. The Presbyterians believe that if at least one of the parents is saved, then they will act faithfully and raise their child accordingly, therefore the child will also be faithful. The rest of the congregation, in their response to your child's baptism, will also treat your little one as God's property. Baptism is not a magic act, it's not just a promise by the parents. Everybody gets involved.

If you have no real plans of raising your child in accordance with Christian principles, the child will still be called a prodigal under his or her baptism. The Presbyterians will consider this child only temporarily outside of God's Kingdom if this happens, never witnessing to them to "become saved." At least they're not supposed to, because the assumption of faithfulnes means "come back," not "do you know the Lord."

That's what the pastor is trying to find out, since you're not members. Once an assumption of faithfulness has been made, baptism has always been done shortly afterward, including the entire household (present culture excepted), never waiting years and years for the child to make a decision. If the pastor doesn't explain this to you, this is what's behind it.

Edit: "Hogie" is wrong too. Presbyterian churches are not apostate. He is inserting "first" and "then" into the phrase "Believe and be baptized" when there is no chronological order given in order to specify adult-only baptisms. This yields other conundrums too, if you think about it. For instance, if he describes infant baptisms as "worthless," then so are adult baptisms if they are only a demonstration of belief. If they earn Heaven with baptism, it's works-oriented salvation and not to be trusted.

The Presbyterian bottom line is that baptism is a dotted line to salvation we cling to with faith through our baptisms, God having the ultimate authority. Catholic, and I'll betcha Hogie's views, draw solid lines to salvation with removal of original sin or "clean slates for the babies" -- pushing God aside so that Man may demand his free pass to Heaven, and thus act in God's place.

• Donna

The Presbyterian Church is mainstream to liberal in their approach. Baptism to them is a little different than other churches. Most do not believe the hell stuff. A baby is innocent- Baptism is more about the family promising to bring the child up as a Christian. The minister will probably be open minded about your not being married. But it is a solemn sacrament and the minister will want to make sure you understand it's significance.

But it is not his duty-it is your duty. If you don't go to church, you are the main influence on the child's spiritual teachings. I have been to many Baptisms in this church. The first part is traditional. Then the minister usually asks the whole congregation if they will help bring up the child as a Christian also. So- your not being a member changes the equation quite a bit.

I'm sure the minister wants to understand your motivation . Be honest and open with him. This minister will most likely be more understanding than you are expecting. I am more spiritual than religous and have found this type of church to have a positive attitude about these things......

• Hogie

The Presbyterian church is an apostate church.

Baptism is a Christian "rite" that is given to those who have believed the gospel and repented (turned to God, while abandoning their previous lifestyle of sin. So, when did your child come to understand the gospel??? Does your child understand what baptism is?

Baptism is not for children.

But then, an apostate church is bound to do anything.

You are correct in that churches have used religion as a method of control. The real problem here is, you are ignorant as to the "how".

Marriage is an example of how they have stuck their noses into people's personal lives. A man and woman are married if they live together and have sexual relations with each other. So, despite your claim, you are indeed married. Churches have no Scriptural authority to intervene in this, by either performing marriages, or telling people who they can or cannot marry.

The bottom line here is this only. All your daughter will do is get wet.

.

What if: the minister wants to thank you for not considering abortion? It's good to plan ahead but not a good idea at all to butt a perceived problem. Hope everything goes well for sake of the innocent little child that's the apple of your eye.

God Bless her.

Usually when people say they follow god in my own way, it simply means they ignore god.

Believing in god means seeking God. Belief is not an opinion, it is the prerequisite for actively seeking Him. So do you really believe in God?

Think about your own belief/opinion before you see the minister. If you express your ideas openly, I think he'll understand.

Simply be honest and direct. If the minister can't accept what you say in honesty, then why would you want him to baptise your daughter anyway?

You should not get babies baptized it is so hard to find unbaptized babies whose fat we can render to make "flying potion". how is a witch supposed to get around? have you seen air fares lately?