How do I acquire the Short Barrel Shotgun Tax Stamp from the ATF?

My stepdad recently passed away and kindly left me his gun collection. One of them is a Mossberg 835 hunting shotgun with a non-factory 15" barrel. I have removed the barrel, and the shotgun in it's current state is in 3 pieces. I know there is a $200 fee and a background check, but I want to know exactly where one would start in the process to acquiring this "short barrel shotgun tax stamp" from the ATF so I can go out and shoot this thing at a range before I leave for Marine Corps boot in September. Some other info that may hinder the process: I am in Orange County, FL, I'm 19 years old, and as stated the barrel has unfortunately *already* been modified (by my stepdad not too long before he passed). Thanks guys

Favorite Answer

I am a legal NFA owner. I have already been down this road.

First off - you need to be 21 to obtain NFA weapons when building a firearm (or initial registration).

That said - if there is any chance your stepdad did go through the NFA Form 1 process to build this shotgun - the serial number will be in their data base. If it is in the data base - then it can be legally transfered to an heir (you) for free on a Form 1.

If you are 100% sure your stepdad never bothered to do the paper work - you need to take the barrel off your property and put is someplace else. Because "having the ability to assemble a NFA device from parts" is a violation. Having the barrel in the garage and the receiver and rest in the basement is just as much trouble/bad as having it all put together, loaded - and walking around with a sign that says, "Bust Me" on your back. The barrel needs to get off the property tonight.

As I said - you need to be 21, and submit a Form 1 signed by your local police chief along with photo, fingerpritns - and the check for $200. It takes a minium of 4-6 months these days to get a Form 1 or Form 4 approved. It aint gonna happnen before September. And if it did - you can't take it out of Florida without NFA pre-approval (takes 30 days).

I am retired military. Even when I was E5 and E6 on three pistol teams and one rifle team - I still had a huge headache checking by firearms on and off post. As an E7 - it got much easier - but was still trouble. As an E1 in boot camp and an E2 just out of boot camp heading for a technical school you are not going to find anyone that will allow you to own this where you will be - period - until you report to a final duty station...... and are 21. This shotgun will hang around your neck like a millstone.

Shotgun barrels only cost $95 new and maybe $195 tops for a nice fancy vent-rib. Used shotgun barrels can be found for $30-$45 in most large gun shops.

A 15" barrel shoots just as well as a legal 18" barrel. If I handed you a legal 18 and a 15 I doubt you could tell the difference when shooting. Now, if it had a "6 barrel like the 870's I have seen - OK - those are cool to shoot. But to risk tons of trouble for a 15"? aint worth nothing. Heck, you may get issued one of those 870's.

Bottom line. Crush the barrel. It has little value. Once crushed - call the ATF toll free number (304) 616-4500 and tell the folks who answer you have a firearm serial number you would like to verify is or is not in their data base. If not, you are now off the hook. If it is - they will tell you what to do next to properly inherit it (and ok, you are out a $100 barrel, but, you don't have to worry about anyone knocking on your door, right?) So long as that barrel is out of your posession - you could call and skip the crushing. But I would not.

See, when you go to boot camp they are going to re-look at all your records. You get caught up in some mess like this with NFA Branch and you could be fat, dumb, and happy half way through boot camp and then they give you a discharge and a plane ticket home before lunch time. That quick.

Do the right thing

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

My stepdad recently passed away and kindly left me his gun collection. One of them is a Mossberg 835 hunting shotgun with a non-factory 15" barrel. I have removed the barrel, and the shotgun in it's current state is in 3 pieces. I know there is a $200 fee and a background check, but I want...

Source(s): acquire short barrel shotgun tax stamp atf: https://shortly.im/97K3q
  • ???

If your father just sawed the barrel off illegally, your best bet would be to just get rid of that barrel or drill a hole or three through the chamber portion to render it unusable. That way, you can keep the shotgun receiver itself without having to worry about illegality. You can then go through the proper channels to acquire a new short barrel for the shotgun. Under the law, you should have filled out the forms BEFORE you took possession of the shotgun, so you are currently breaking the law.

All very good answers, I would endorse the idea of making the barrel unusable (drill the shamber, cut with a hacksaw, etc. Now, go buy a legal length barrel and your A-OK. Just having the barrel is a crime. On select fire weapons, just owning the funny shaped sear that a full auto uses is a felony, even if you dont own a gun.....

I lived in Orlando for many years, and if Beary is still sheriff, you shouldnt have an issue with NFA stuff.

• Mr.357

I would contact a lawyer. There is a mechanism in the law that allows you to inherit a SBS assuming that the tax had been paid by the previous owner. Taking the barrel off or disassembling the gun does not make it not a SBS according to the ATF. As long as you own or possess all of the parts, you have a SBS.

• asar

Sbs Shotgun