Maddy asked in SportsMotorcycle Racing · 10 years ago

Hey im a 14 year old girl almost 15, and i want to start motocross?

i've been wanting to start racing since i was 12, and i havent had the time to but now i do. do u guys think that i could still be good even though i didnt start at a young age? and will it be harder because of my age? im just afraid i wont be that good. and what kind of bike do you think i should get? i weigh about 92 pounds and im 4'11 in a half?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

What a silly question, of course you can still be a good racer. Many good racers started at that age. You don't have to start racing while you're still in diapers to be competitive. One of the top offroad riders in the world, Juha Salminen, didn't start racing until late in his life. The guy was such a good rider that his friends pressured him into entering races. He's won numerous titles including GNCC, W.E.C, Erszburg Rodeo and others. So no, I don't think age plays much of a difference, maybe when you get older and you can't bounce back so quick from an injury, but not now LOL. You never mentioned whether you had any kind of seat time on a dirtbike yet. If you don't, you'll need to start off with something predictable and manageable. Look at something like an air cooled trail bike just to get familiar with the basics. Once you have all the controls and body positioning down, you can always upgrade to a mini or supermini 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Yeah, lots of racers do start when they are 4 or 5, but many of those riders also peak when they're 13 or 14 and burn out by 18. The point being there is an advantage to starting at your age. As far as a bike, the Honda CRF150R hands down. If you don't have a good bit of experience you'll find an 85 2 stroke very hard to ride. The 150R is definitely the ticket for you.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Girls racing is no where near as competitive as what the guys racing is. Of course you won't get a female that races to agree with that statement but it is fact. There are a few really fantastic female mx riders but in general the girls are not as good. Saying that means it is not as big a gap to bridge to be competitive as what the guys have. Yes those that have been racing since 4 have an edge and if you are looking to turn pro then it is a big ask but to become good is a different matter and if you have natural talent who knows. Your problem is going to be your height and at the age you are you will probably not get too much taller. Look at the crf150r and if you are going to race get the suspension set up to suit your weight as you will get bounced around way too much with standard settings and only weighing 92 pounds. If you cannot reach the ground trim the seat as well and invest in some starting blocks for the start line.

Start racing to have fun and make sure you get to know the other girls racing as you will learn a lot from those who have been in the sport for a long time. Learning to set your bike up for each track and what tyre to run, what are the best lines on the track and even better gate position make a huge difference in racing. Listen and learn. Go online to the governing body of motorsport in whatever country you are in and read up on the basic rules as there is a lot to learn. You need to know what all the flags mean and learn what you can and cannot do. Most of all have fun

• 10 years ago

CRF150R and stay dedicated

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

get a yz85. and it depends how dedicated you are

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.