Ben G asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

Is Israel being just in their War in Gaza?

In light of the recent Israeli attack on the activism flotilla this week, it brings into question wether or not the Israeli army has acted to the moral, and legal, code which binds its theocratic government. I have heard that the invasion of Gaza violated the Geneva Conventions, and also that on January 3, '09, they bombed and killed countless Palestinian citizens, giving them no chance to flee.

But on the other hand, I have been told that the only attacks that Israel has performed have either been in self-defense or retaliation. I have also been told that the January bombing was one of the few times where civilians weren't allowed to flee (e.g.: the Israeli army dropping papers to civilians to warn them).

So all in all, is Israel fighting a just fight? Or is it a corrupt, illegal, and hypocritical war for power over their Middle Eastern counterparts?

(Just by the way, I support the addition of Jerusalem as a secular, religious hub (for lack of a better term) so that Muslim, Jewish, and Christian alike may not fight over one small piece of land. I am also aware of the way most Israeli citizens look down upon Palestinians)

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Israel is fighting a just fight.

Gaza is a launching pad for rocket attacks against unarmed civilians in southern Israel. Israel warned the Palestine government to stop these attacks. They continued.

Israel could have driven everyone in Gaza into the sea. That did not happen. Israel needed to send a message and it is being sent.

Israel is a unique nation in the following way. If Israel loses a war, then it is all over for Israel. Israel will cease to exist. Germany has lost two World Wars and it is still around. The U.S. lost the VIetnam War and the U.S. is still around. Mexico lost the Mexican - American War. Spain lost the Spanish - American War. Mexico and Spain are still around. Britain lost the Revolutionary war and Britain still around. Israel doesn't get to lose. Israel must win.

When you must win or face annihilation of your nation then any response is just. When your nation refuses to allow another nation the right to exist, then you deserve whatever that nation throws at you.

• 10 years ago

Israel for the most part is moral and just when conducting wars. They own all the land that the palestinians live in. Its there country and they let a group of people who hate them and want them to die willing live on there land. They could have made them all leave there land and be legal about it. Of course no other country wants palestinians in there land. Not to mention Hezbollah is a evil terrorist group that kills innocent israeli people all the time.

As to this recent thing were the commandos kill some people on the boats. From the stuff ive read it was justified. They were attacked as they came out of the helicopters and many were hurt and 2 were seriously hurt. They had there weapons taken form them and where beaten with sticks and attack with knives. They were ordered to defend themselves by there officers and to use deadly force and they did. If these "peacefull" people on the boat had followed orders and not attack the soldiers they wouldn't be dead now. It was the protesters fault not the soldiers.

Source(s): stuff
  • 10 years ago

I'll put my next paycheck on that there were weapons being smuggled into Gaza.

Israel responds to rocket attacks from Palestinian controlled areas all the time.

The main reason Israel looks down on Palestinians is because there have been billions of dollars sent to them and they still live in squalor. When Arafat died, they found that he had skimmed and put in foreign banks millions of dollars intended to help the "People". If they put the money to work the way its supposed to be, they would be one of the richest countries in the world. They are just to busy thinking that they will actually get Israel to leave.

• 10 years ago

Hezbollah the "govt" in charge of Gaza is a known terror organization that has stated it will destroy Israel and Infidels. Israel has been bombarded by rockets made in Iran and fired from Palestine, therefore Israel ahs a right to protect its people and fire back and to put a naval blockade to prevent further shipments of weapons into the region. I believe its totally jsut

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.