Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsMartial Arts · 1 decade ago

Martial Arts Stamina Tips?

Hey Guys! My friend always gets tired when working out in Martial Arts class, she quickly loses her stamina and sometimes feels light headed when standing up. What should she do?

Thanks Guys! Great Info! I'll try to tell her next time I see her!

Favorite Answer

So I am actually an MMA Figher myself and I used to experience these problems. Here are some solutions:

1. Jogging, Jogging, Jogging, Jogging... BY FAR the greatest stamina builder ever

2. Possible sign of lower body weakness... Definetely focus on leg workouts(Squats)

3. After a hard workout DO NOT stand up rapidly... this is most likely the cause for being light headed. Instead have your friend drink some water(NOT TOO MUCH) and then stand up slowly.

4. Overall a tired feeling is quite common but the stronger you become the less you feel it :)

Source(s): I'm an MMA figher(Focuses: Brazilian Jiu Jiutsu, Tae Kwon Do)

I would ask the question if she has ever fainted as things like this along with fainting indicates some health issues or problems are going on and she should get it checked out by her doctor. If she is only experiencing this at work outs and there is no fainting she should drink a glass of water a half hour before working out. Also if she is dieting she probably needs to stop that and instead devote more time to working out as dieting can leave you weak and without energy also and cause this. Eating an orange or banana or maybe a piece of chocolate will help raise her sugar levels and that could be a problem as she could be hypoglycemic. She could work on her endurance by jogging or doing aerobics and I would recommend that to start with but if this continues she needs to see her doctor and find out what the underlining cause is.

As for class she may want to work out on her own some and push herself a little longer and a little further on some of the drills and exercises and workouts that they do. An example of this is all my fighters doing a 3.5 minute round or a 6 minute round with only a forty-five second rest. My karate students who compete fight two up one down so that they have to fight a fresh opponent twice in a row. In kata they do their kata and then a third to a half of it again without any rest so that when they compete they are not running out of gas at the end of it but instead can stay strong all the way through.

It all comes down to conditioning and that comes from training. If your friend is starting from being way out of shape it can take a few months to get fit.

She needs to work out more than just during martial arts classes. An additional cardiovascular work out 20 min. long a couple times a week can help build endurance.

It needs to be mentioned that if she feels light headed during work outs especially even light ones she may have an underlying medical condition. If she checks out OK she should continue and listen to her body and keep working out and pushing the limit with each week adding a little more until she is comfortable with getting a solid one hour of cardiovascular and anaerobic work about 50/50.

Other things that are important ot the Martial Artiest are breath control, proper hydration, and enough of the right kinds of food.

I recommend to my students that they eat something before an evening class that has some protein in it and some complex carbohydrates. Have at least 8 ounces of water an hour before class. Please no soft drinks or energy drinks.

Energy drinks give you a rush and are gone leaving you all tired out after about 20 min. of intense work out. Continued use may put undue stress on your system leading in my opinion to early onset type 2 diabetes. A sip of water after 20 min work out is good. You may even recomend soething like Gatoraid to relace some salts and blood sugar no more than a few ounces.Someone already suggested running as a good work out to improve endurance. I would like to second that and add that swiming laps and treadmill on an incline are great also.

I want to emphasize that all these things will take time and your friend should ease into them so that she doesent lose heart and give up. Add to her regamin in small increments, a little each week. At the end of a year she should feel a diferent person.

Source(s): life

I used to have the same problems.

- Drink a glass of water once every hour before class

- Eat enough calories before class - In Muay-Thai we burn 800 - 1000 calories an hour. Should be clean calories not grease. - I say at least 1500-2000 calories before class at minimum.

Proper nutrition and exercise is key the to martial-arts and life in general. With MMA however its even more important than traditional arts. I eat clean 6 days a week but I do have a cheat meal once every week. Your friend should not sacrifice food to cut calories until the body gets used to the grind.

- Assuming that your MMA class has an intensive warm-up before class begins. Its critical to work on strength, core, aerobic and anaerobic exercises all the time.

Source(s): I am a competitive Muay-Thai and MMA practitioner.
  • DJ

Feeling light headed from exercise might be a sign of an underlying medical condition, so she may need to visit a doctor to discuss her health.

Beyond that, martial arts classes are highly demanding aerobic workouts that focus on ANAEROBIC movements. They are aerobic in the sense that they are longer than 20min and require the body to respire more quickly to supply oxygen as energy, however, the short, explosive movements are considered to be anaerobic movements, but they have been extended over a longer time frame.

I STRONGLY disagree with the other answerers that have said to try jogging to increase her stamina. You don't need to "train for your training" by jogging, just keep training your MA and she'll catch up soon. Jogging is a strictly aerobic exercise, so it will NOT help your body get used to the high intensity anaerobic workouts.

That said, the easiest fix for the problem likely comes from your friend's diet. To supply herself with enough energy for the class, your friend may need to increase her protein intake. Also, she may get considerable benefit from taking iron supplements to help increase her ability to carry oxygen in her blood. Also be sure that she's drinking plenty of fluids before, during and after class.

Personally, I train martial arts for about 15hrs a week, and what works for me is to drink juice with my meals, alkaline water (like Fiji water, or tap water at least-not purified drinking water) between meals and during practice, and gatorade after practice, as well as taking a fairly high protein diet and taking iron supplements.

Get a med check first, then try the water, iron, and protein. I'd be highly surprised if it didn't solve her problem.

• Dona

Interesting question.:) There are so many martial arts and so much good material so I will just give you some excellent sources of one art called Shotokan Karate and another art called Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. For Shotokan Karate check the videos of Hirozaku Kanazawa, (the new ones also) Masahiko Tanaka, and Masao Kagawa they seem to posses what you are looking for and they have several hours of videos in the net explaining and demonstrating in a very good manner their art. Just search them and you will find them. Check also the book of Gichin Funakoshi Karate-Do Kyohan "The Master Text he also seems to posses what you are looking for plus his explanations are towards that direction. In addition check the dynamic techniques of Shotokan Karate one and two and also if you want check also the videos of Masatoshi Nakayama. All the above have also written books so if you want you can check them also. Check also the JKA grading examination for any type of belts and then dan, in order to check what they are doing in order to attain a belt and then a dan and how the progress on it, as well as several other shotokan organizations. For Bazilian Jiu-Jitsu check the videos of Rorion Gracie. He made them in order to pass the knowledge of the art, there are many hours of videos and very well explained and demonstrated. Check also Helio Gracie. For strength you may consider weights training or strength exercises with out weights such a pull-ups pus-ups, squats e.t.c For stamina and endurance you may consider running and for agility stretching or yoga. Hope that helps:)

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDM21

Drink Lots of water maybe she should go jogging before class it will help her cardio

Source(s): ME

Start running.....a lot.

and keep hydrated