Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists: what if you're wrong, what if hell really exists..are you sure you wanna take that chance?

spending eternity in hell...that's a hell of a bet, isn't it?

Favorite Answer

What if YOU are wrong, and Thor really exists, and when Ragnarok happens you'll be wiped out forever and won't go to Valhalla because you don't believe in and obey Thor's will?

Yeah, I have no problem whatsoever with the incredibly tiny "chance" that there is a hell. I'm not going to pretend to believe in things that are proven wrong or have no evidence to show they're real just in case they are real. If that's your reason for believing in your god, I feel nothing but pity for you -- and I'll also point out to you that there are thousands of gods you'd better believe in "just in case..." It's going to keep you busy.

Peace.

On the off chance that a divine entity exists AND that that entity is in fact concerned with me AND going to pass some manner of arbitrary judgment on me, than I am confident said entity, if worthy of my esteem, prefers atheists to all the bloody religious types throwing poo and bombs at each other.

And you up there, first answerer! Congratulations! You have found an exception to rule 34 of the internet. I failed to find any Blaise Pascal porn.

Edit: Oh there you are, thought we'd lost you, but I see you are at the bottom now "due to low rating"

Hey, if your "god" controls everything, then I don't want anything to do with someone who would allow my heart to be shattered and ripped out of my chest and take my loved ones away from me. Life is hell alone, so I really don't see the difference. Besides, if hell DOES exist, then I'm sure going there, but hey- We're gonna have a party, and you're not invited! So THERE!

Source(s): Pagan
  • ?

And picking your worse choice of serving a monster that will send people there eternally is better exactly how.

Pascal's Wager. Flawed and pointless argument that ignores all of the THOUSANDS of other religions, and ignores the simple fact that bets are against ALL of us - even believers.

Why should I waste my life on worshiping a god that has a slim chance of even existing "just in case"? I would rather live a good and happy life, regardless of "hell" and "gods", than spend it in misery because MAYBE there's a god, and MAYBE there's a hell - but no one really knows for sure. Nevermind that any god should be able to tell who really believes, and who is pretending "just in case" - or do you think your god is a moron?

My life is more precious to me to waste it on assumptions and fear.

What if you're wrong and the Hindus got it right? Are you sure you wanna take that change? Being reborn as a locust.... That's a hell of a bet, isn't it?

Christians: what if you're wrong, what if Hades really exists..are you sure you wanna take that chance?

spending eternity in Tartarus, the dungeon of Hades...that's a hell of a bet, isn't it?

That's called 'Pascals Wager', and you aren't the first one to think it up.

Keep in mind - what if the 'hell' of some other religion turns out to exist, and you didn't worship the right deity?

For all you know, you might end up in FSM hell - with a stale beer volcano and strippers with STD's.

Source(s): Spagnostic.

As an atheist i will say that believing in god out of fear is just as wrong as not believing in him at all. So believing in god because i have nothing to lose is just as worthless. Many Christians do this anyway, which is ironic (and i saw Christians because im american and its what im mainly surrounded by, the same applies to all religions).

What if you are wrong to worship god? Lets conjecture that such a being exists and just want us to leave him alone. Now lets suppose he gets really pissed at people constantly calling on him and those are the one's he decides to torture for eternity?

Your proposal is meaningless, and what kind of being that would torture one its creations for eternity? Not one worthy of worship.