How do I get my dog to stop eating the trash while I am away?

I have a 6 year old Italian mastiff who has in the last few weeks started eating the trash. He never did this before now and he only does this when I am not home. He is kind of a stubborn boy in that I can't lock him up to solve the problem. If I crate him he opens the door and gets lose. If I lock him in a... show more I have a 6 year old Italian mastiff who has in the last few weeks started eating the trash. He never did this before now and he only does this when I am not home. He is kind of a stubborn boy in that I can't lock him up to solve the problem. If I crate him he opens the door and gets lose. If I lock him in a room he opens the door and gets lose and I got one of those dog proof trash cans and I suspect he wasn't the dog they used to proof it because he tore the trash apart without ever unlocking the lid! It's like he has thumbs when I'm not home. Oh and there isn't really anywhere I can put the trash to hide it from him because of the open floor plan of my place. Any advice will be greatly appreciated