Melissa asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

How do I get my dog to stop eating the trash while I am away?

I have a 6 year old Italian mastiff who has in the last few weeks started eating the trash. He never did this before now and he only does this when I am not home. He is kind of a stubborn boy in that I can't lock him up to solve the problem. If I crate him he opens the door and gets lose. If I lock him in a room he opens the door and gets lose and I got one of those dog proof trash cans and I suspect he wasn't the dog they used to proof it because he tore the trash apart without ever unlocking the lid! It's like he has thumbs when I'm not home. Oh and there isn't really anywhere I can put the trash to hide it from him because of the open floor plan of my place. Any advice will be greatly appreciated

This is not a complicated issue. You put the trash where he cannot get it, inside a pantry or out in the garage. If you have a trash can that you are forced to step on a foot pedal to lift the lid that will help, however, most big dogs will simply knock the can over, what you do is purchase weights, the round kind that go on the end of a bar for weight lifters, you place the weights inside the can, 10-20lbs will do, this holds the can in place and makes it very hard for the dog to move or tip over, so unless he knows how to lift the lid the garbage is difficult to get to. Another method is to keep the garbage can behind a closed door if possible. If you live in an apt and putting in the garage is also out of the question I suggest purchasing a square/rectangular lidded can that has the foot pedal to operate (see second link), then purchase an alarm that you place on sliding glass doors one that sticks on that has two parts to it one part goes on the lid the other on the can so that when the connection is broken a very loud piercing screech is emitted (see first link), this noise alone will scare your dog into leaving the trash alone, when you are home the alarm can be switched off, you just need to set it when you leave. I'm not sure that once the connection is re-established (your dog drops the lid) if the noise stops so you will have to test this out. This alarm can be purchased in any hardware store and is very cheap and uses double sided tape to install.

If you cannot hide your trash then all you can do is deter your dog from wanting to raid it by making it unpleasant when he does, otherwise trash raiding is a self rewarding behavior and very difficult to stop.

I have a big dog too and I have to pick up every one of my baby's stuffed toys (actually I pick them all up anyways) so that my dogs don't get to it. The garbage prob. sounds like your dog's trying to test you on dominance cause he's not supposed to touch anything as they are yours & you're the leader of the pack... right? Are you?

Maybe try putting the hottest hot sauce you can find (if you go to a mexican store is actually the green stuff that's hot not the red stuff) & put it in a spray bottle. Then spray the part of the can where the lid & the can meet, when your dog gets it inside it's nose & mouth it'll run. If THAT doesn't work try a nice (& I'm not being sarcastic) floral scent that makes your whole house smell nice... Something that you can stick to the garbage can. I find that dogs don't like nice smells (nice for humans that is) & preffer horrible ones (such as my daughter's dirty, popped diappers). If that still doesn't work & you have enough money & your house pipes can take it. Try a garbage disposal in your sink. That way only plastic & paper & bones can go into your garbage & you'll be reducing your carbon footprint, I think.

Dump the trash in the outside trash can on your way out to work. In any event you need to keep the dog and the trash separate as getting into the trash is very self rewarding to the dog.

Source(s): old balanced trainer

Before you leave, take him on a really long walk, jog, run, bike ride, etc. so that he is tired and ready to rest.

Leave plenty of toys for him to play with, something with food in might be a good idea, e.g. Kong.

Move the bin out of the room you leave him in, place a lock on the door so he can't go into a different room and empty out any smelly trash before leaving him so that it won't tempt him.

If he is left alone a lot, you could consider asking a friend, relative or neighbour to keep an eye on him, getting a pet sitter or taking him to a day kennel so he is not alone or getting a dog walker to walk him while you are out.

• Beth

Try the bitter spray on the bag or in the trash for the first couple times. they tend to learn to avoide it. if not, try putting the baby lock and maybe push the trash can farther back. or bitterspray what the dog could bite. :)

How about putting in a trash can outside where he can't get to it. It sounds like he is bored or has separation anxiety. Try exercising him for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening.

This kinda sounds obvious but put the trash out before you leave. Or perhaps just put the trash outside if you leave the dog inside and visa versa. Do you have a shed or something out back to put it in?

Dog Trash Can Lid

Put hot sauce in a spray bottle. Spray the trash with hot sauce. Once he taste/smells that he will not bother the trash. (Garlic spray might work too).

Get a crate that closes ...that way he cant open the door...I didnt realize your dog was so ambidexterous