what is a normal blood sugar reading?

• Favorite Answer

It may surprise you to know that there is not a simple answer to this question as different authorities offer conflicting and competing levels. The most oft quoted normal glucose readings for a non-diabetic are fasting 70 to 100 mg/dL and post-prandial (after a meal) 100 to 140 mg/dL. Please bear in mind that no decision or action should be taken based upon a single reading. I do not use terms such as borderline, pre-diabetes, or glucose intolerance as I believe that these terms miss the point entirely. There is a 10 year lead in time to elevated glucose readings in a type 2 diabetic. What these terms reflect is actually early diabetes. As there is 10 years of damage prior to diagnosis the diagnosis of diabetes should be decisive. This does not mean that simply because your glucose is elevated that you will require pharmacologic intervention. The physician may start with diet, weight loss, and exercise. Nonetheless most will require some form of pharmacologic intervention. In a very general description the sequence of events is typically 1 diet, weight loss, exercise; 2 metformin hydrochloride; 3 pioglitazone (Actos); 4 sitagliptin phosphate (Januvia) or the more recently released saxigliptin (Onglyza); 5 basal insulin such as glargine (Lantus) or detemir (Levemir); 6 bolus insulin such as lispro (Humalog) or aspart (Novolog). Again this is a typical approach although there are many other medications available. It is also a difficult decision once insulin is started whether or not the oral medications should be continued as there is very little data to answer this question. Most physicians tend to continue at least some oral medication in order to reduce the total daily dosage of insulin. In addition to asking what a normal blood glucose reading is you should know that there is a test called a glycated (glyco- or glycosylated are incorrect terms) hemoglobin A1C which provides a 90 day mean (average) glucose reading. Although different reference laboratory may offer different 'normals' an A1C of 6.0% is generally considered the upper limit of normal. An A1C approximates (the relationship between A1C and glucose is nonlinear) a 90 day mean glucose of 126 mg/dL. If I may be of further assistance please let me know. I wish you the very best of health and may God bless.

• Laura

Ok what I can tell you is you probably have what is called pre diabetes. I have this too. It means that your blood sugar is not reacting as well as it should..but not to the extent of having full blown diabetes. Now regular blood sugar levels should be between 70-100 generally. Some people just have theirs stay at 100 and feel fine. Others need it to be more like 70 or they feel awful. The fact that when you hadn't eaten anything your level was at 70, that's a good sign. After you ate Burger King and i am assuming you ate something with high carbs like bread, fries,etc..then that is why your blood sugar raised up. Though still not at a dangerous level. I would suggest keeping an eye on your blood sugar and also on what you are eating. If you are overweight, just losing 10% of your body weight can lessen your chance of getting diabetes by a huge amount. So getting more exercise and eating a little better will help. I don't know what other symptoms you have..possibly frequent peeing, feeling very tired, and very thirsty? These can indicate a blood sugar issue but doesn't mean you have diabetes. So keep an eye on it, try to change your lifestyle if needed, and if all else fails or you are worried, I would go to the doctor and discuss this issue. He/She may order a GTT(glucose tolerance test) which measures how well your body reacts to sugar on an empty stomache,etc. Hope this helps!

1

Source(s): Destroy Diabetes Starting Today - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?ZJsX

2

Source(s): Two Weeks Diabetes Cure - http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?hQAi
  • Lauren

I'm a 45 year old woman and was recently diagnosed as being a borderline diabetic. My doctor prescribed some medication, but before filling it I decided to do some research on the internet which led me to the methods. After reading this ebook and applying the methods, my scepticism turned to 100% belief. I noticed that my energy levels increased significantly and I felt more rested in the morning, my symptoms started going away.

I am very happy to tell you that I have been feeling better than I have felt in years and my doctor informed me that he will be taking me off my prescriptions if I keep this up.

I recommend you use the Type 2 Diabetes Destroyer to naturally reverse your diabetes.

• xaxorm

Ideal Normal: 70-100

Reasonably Healthy: 70-120

Not gonna kill ya': 70-150...or even up to 200

70-150 for a person with type 2 diabetes 95 for a person without diabetes.

90-115

70-150

below 70mg- hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)

above 150mg-hyperglycemia (high blood sugar)