Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 decade ago

Is this child endangerment?

My neighbor diagonal across the street celebrated their daughter's 2nd birthday last weekend and she was gifted with a plastic electric play car. Our street dead ends, but is not a culdesac. They allow this small child to ride this electric thing out into and all around the street, sometimes only accompanied by a 3 year old. Is this child endangerment? If so, what should I do about it? I had thought to videotape it to show to the authorities.

Favorite Answer

If she's supervised than its perfectly okay if not then its just bad parenting. But really you video taped it? I would delete the tape a lot of people don't take kindly to having their kids video taped without their consent for obvious reasons!

Source(s): good common sense

In my opinion (which shouldn't account for much since I'm a 19 year old that is not a mother, ha-ha), you should just let it be. Sure, it may be wrong, but what are the authorities going to do about it? Tell the mother that she should stop?

I get where you are coming from. I would be the same way. Perhaps instead of alerting the authorities, next time the child is out, you could take her home and say something like "Oh, I found your daughter outside by herself in her car and I didn't know if you knew. I just wanted to tell you in case she snuck out since it's extremely dangerous, this neighborhood not being a culdesac and all." smile, bid them a good day, and be on with it :)

Good luck!

• Child endangerment is when you "intentionally" endanger a child. Like when you throw them off a bridge. So, no this would not be child endangerment. However, they should not be in the street period. Letting your child play in the street would be negligence. Now, you don't need to be making video tapes and calling DeFacs. If your really concerned about it you should confront the child's parent. Offer to play and baby site the child while there outside if you must. If your really concerned then really do something.

Yes, it is, but some people might not think so.

If U can film it and turn it in to Childrens Protective Services U might save the child's life.

Then again, if the parents are that stupid, they might just do something different equally as stupid later on. I would have never given my child that toy in the first place.

An adult should always be with the kids when they leave the house, in a city like that.

You could modestly bring up your concern to the parents, maybe with a real-life story of a young child who was hurt in a similar situation. If they listen to you, great! If they don't listen, then you'll have to give it up. It's not your child. The child is not being abused. There are much more horrific things going on in the world that your time can really be positively spent on (without making enemies of your neighbors).

I guess if the road dead ends, they assume people would have enough sense to know to drive slowely up that road!! I think you should mind your own business!! If they are not outside beating their children or if you see that they seem to be fed and well taken care of then most likely they are good parents and you should quit trying to find a reason to get their kids taken from them!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the reason why so many children are in foster homes and so messed up these days, because people are getting them taken away from their parents for silly reasons instead of calling on people who really need their kids taken away!!

Source(s): Mom of 6
  • .

Talk to the parents. If no one is watching them outside, yes it's endangerment. Tell the parents they could easily be hit by a car or kidnapped.

something may happen and the parents will learn, but i dont tink you need to get into it. it will make so much trouble for you in the neibourhood. let it be. seems the neibours know this and probably watch out for her while driving, also try and tell the mom and dad u worry about her getting hit by a car . see their response you never know what it could be..

I don't think it is since people in my neighborhood let all of their kids run around. unless they are walking to another neighborhood its fine. I suggest going to the parents first and threatening them before you go to the police and make enemies with neighbors.

She has her parents to look out for her, but its so nice that you care for children so much. U r so sweet.