How long does it take a fishing hook to dissolve in a fish? Do fish have nervous systems like ours?

I absolutely love fishing, and I usually fish for largemouth bass at my uncle's lake house. It may be because I'm just too sensitive, but I've always secretly felt guilty if I caught a fish only to see that it had swallowed the hook. In those situations, I have to cut the line and let the fish swim away... show more I absolutely love fishing, and I usually fish for largemouth bass at my uncle's lake house. It may be because I'm just too sensitive, but I've always secretly felt guilty if I caught a fish only to see that it had swallowed the hook. In those situations, I have to cut the line and let the fish swim away with the hook in his stomach. My father told me that the hooks were designed to dissolve in a fish's stomach. Is this true? Have there been studies regarding this?
Also, slightly off-topic but still related, do fish have nervous systems similar to those of humans? My father also told me that fish aren't in pain when they get hooked, they just feel the pressure of my reeling them in, but I think he was only telling me that so I would feel better. Can fish feel the pain of the hook in their mouth? How long does it take for the hole the hook leaves to heal? Thanks from a fellow fisherman!