promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Emperor asked in HealthMental Health · 10 years ago

HELP!!! I can't remember things well and I can't think properly?

not to talk of memorising things... I find it very hard to memorise and store information in my brain and i can't think normally..please HELP URGENTLY!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Certain areas of the brain are especially important in the formation and retention of memory:

(1) The hippocampus, a primitive structure deep in the brain, plays the single largest role in processing information as memory.

(2) The amygdala, an almond-shaped area near the hippocampus, processes emotion and helps imprint memories that involve emotion.

(3) The cerebral cortex, the outer layer of the brain, stores most long-term memory in different zones, depending on what kind of processing the information involves: language, sensory input, problem-solving, and so forth.

(4) In addition, memory involves communication among the brain’s network of neurons, millions of cells activated by brain chemicals called neurotransmitters.

Exercise, well-documented as a stress-reliever and mood-booster, also helps improve the ability to remember words, facts and ideas. Why might this be? Following a 30-minute jog, a person has elevated levels of nerve-growth chemicals such as Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) which causes nerve cells in the hippocampus to multiply. The release of BDNF may boost both mood and memory, possibly explaining why exercise remains one of the best natural anti-depressants.

Amygdala activity is greater when subjects view pictures with emotional as opposed to neutral content, and they remember those emotionally charged pictures better. The amygdala may be smaller and less active than average in people with schizophrenia (who have trouble “reading” emotions). People with social anxiety show more amygdala activity than others when they look at pictures of angry faces. People with genetically determined irregularities in the transport of the chemical messenger serotonin, who are thought to be more vulnerable to depression, also have hyperactive amygdalae.

Research presented at the 2006 American Psychological Association convention suggests that repeated stress remodels the brain and causes neurons in the hippocampus and prefrontal cortex to shrink. Stress can also lead to depression, which is associated with memory difficulties.

Excessive alcohol consumption, exposure to certain pesticides and heavy metals, and to drugs such as phencyclidine (PCP) and ketamine can cause memory problems and synaptic loss. The toxin from the bacteria that causes poisonous botulism acts directly on the synapses by blocking transmission of neurotransmitters, as does the deadly toxin curare.

Memory and thinking:

(1) Knowledge of result, practice

(2) Recitation: In one experiment, the best memory score was earned by a group of students who spent 80 % of their time reciting and only 20 percent reading (Gates, 1958). Maybe students who talk to themselves aren’t crazy after!

(3) Rehearsal

(4) Selection: The Dutch scholar Erasmus said that a good memory should he like a fish net: It should keep the big fish and let the little ones escape. If you boil down the paragraphs in most textbooks to one or two important terms or ideas, your memory chores will be more manageable. Practice very selective marking in your texts and use marginal notes to further summarize ideas. Most students mark their texts too much instead of too little. If everything is underlined, you haven’t been selective. And, very likely, you didn’t pay much attention in the first place (Peterson, 1992).

(5) Organization class note and summarize, better for encoding the memory

(6) Whole versus part learning: For very long or complex materiial try the progressive part method by breaking a learning task into a series of short sections. At first, you study part A until it is mastered. Next, you study parts A and B, then A, B, and C; and so forth. This is a good way to learn the lines of a play, a long piece of music, or a poem (Ash & Holding, 1970).

(7) Space practice: Spaced Practice To keep boredom and fatigue to a minimum, try alternating short study sessions with brief rest periods. This pattern, called spaced practice. It is generally superior to massed practice, in which little or no rest is given between learning sessions. By improving attention and consolidation, three 20-minute study sessions can produce more learning than 1 hour continuous study.

(8) Sleep and Memory:. During sleep, the brain appears to consolidate and firm up memories of newly acquired information.

(9) Hunger and Memory People who are hungry almost always score lower on memory rests. So mother was right, it’s a good idea to make sure you’ve had a good breakfast or lunch before you take tests at school (Martin & Benron, 1999; Smith, Clark, & Gallagher, 1999).

Source(s): http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthbeat/HEALTHbea... http://www.myfitbrain.com/blog/index.php/pump-up-y... Psychology: a modular approach to mind and behavior By Dennis Coon
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

When I read this, the first thing I want to ask is if you are eating well and getting enough sleep. A lot of people don't realize just how important these two things are to cognitive function of the brain and basic activities. Get at least 8 hours of sleep a night. Eat lots of fruits, veggies, lean proteins, and get ~25g fiber a day.

If that doesn't work, then I would see a doctor.

Source(s): Health and Fitness Enthusiast.
  • Erika
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Can T Remember Things

• Mandi
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

age in this case may be an issue but if your under 50 lol... it could be rapid thinking ( a sign of a mental disorder) it may or may not need medication but its controllable (not easily) and takes practice... you have to slow yourself down and focus minutely on one thing at a time... lose the big picture image and everything else going on around you...sounds easier than it is but just practice practice practice... and make sure you finish one project b4 you start another (my biggest problem!) or you will overwhelm yourself quickly.. close your eyes and deep breath (sounds dumb) but it does work if you want it too...most of the time.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

see http://tinyurl.com/health-solutions/

I hope it will be helpful in resolving your probeml keep using answers.yahoo.com

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.