White sapphire engagement ring?

I'm a pretty frugal person. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage and I'm pretty sure he'll be proposing in the next few months. I have a few questions. First, I want a white sapphire ring instead of a diamond ring, at least for my engagement ring. I hate people spending a lot of money on... show more I'm a pretty frugal person. My boyfriend and I have been talking about marriage and I'm pretty sure he'll be proposing in the next few months. I have a few questions. First, I want a white sapphire ring instead of a diamond ring, at least for my engagement ring. I hate people spending a lot of money on me. I would absolutely love a ring like this http://www.overstock.com/Jewelry-Watches... and that's extremely affordable. Is that a good idea for an engagement ring? I would probably want a diamond ring for my wedding band, but at least then I'd definitely pitch in for it.
I also would like to go ring shopping with him. He doesn't have bad taste in jewelry, but I'm kind of particular. I know he'd be fine with it because he would rather get something that he knows I like than have to choose himself, but how do I bring this up? I feel awkward telling him what I want when he's the one proposing. What's the easiest way to do that?