Caysters asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Anyone know of any illnesses that can cause multiple cysts in dogs?

I have a German shepard/chow mix, he is about 8 years old and gets numerous cysts. We don't know what causes them, but the vet just says to watch them. Said as long as they're soft and can we can move them, then they're fine. Once they get hard and stop moving they can end up killing him.

There is nothing we can afford to do for my dog in the event a cyst starts to kill him, but I am really curious as to what type of things would cause these multiple cysts? I found two more today as I was giving him his annual shaving. He has about 5 now, use to have another one but he chewed it off. We had to give him antibiotics and everything because it got infected. It healed and hasn't come back, but it probably is only a matter of time before he starts chewing another one.

Can't get them removed. It would cost an arm and a leg to get them all removed. I just want to know what could be causing these. We know how to handle them when he started to notice them. He gets coned and medicated. Much cheaper than having to have him go through surgery over and over again for things that will come back over and over and over again.

Again, CAN'T get them removed. Not enough spare cash just laying around to do it.\

Ohh, and I have three other dogs as well. Not the easiest to keep changing them all around on different dog food.

Also, we've tried TONS of different foods. Nothing has made a difference.

Favorite Answer

Call around and get some prices for removing them from other vets. We've had our dogs removed and it's not that expensive. Around 200.00 to remove five. It's just the initial blood work and anesthesia that costs so much but still it's worth it if he's chewing them. Your vet is ripping you off if they are charging more than that.

Some breeds are just more prone to cysts than others. We have a boxer and that's their number one problem. It's really harmless...just like humans gets cysts. It's just a random overgrowth of cells. Some people are more prone to them than others. There are also many kinds of cysts. If you have one removed and biopsied then you will know what's causing your particular dogs.

It's just genetic for the most part. Good luck and PLEASE call around. You'd get a second opinion if it was your child..so do so for your dog. They are helpless without us.

Source(s): I am a vet-tech and see this all the time. When you can't move a cyst then it's a tumor and that's dangerous.

Go ahead and have them removed just so he won't chew them off. Your vet can then examine them.

Edit: Could be skin cancer causing them, or could be any number of things. Maybe a food allergy, etc. Have the vet remove them and examine them.

Edit: Oh, they keep coming back. Maybe have a look at his diet. Try him on raw meat diet, as processed dog food can cause a dog to develop allergies.