How do you get rid of termites?

OK, I admit my family is poor on money about things like exterminators. So we don't have the money to pay for them. And, our termite infestation isn't too serious. But we have a fair amount of flying termites in our house, and they're very gross and annoying. There are dead termites in my bath tub (they probably drowned themselves trying to get a drink, the stupid things =/) and their wings are EVERYWHERE like I can't even turn the fan on without their disgusting shedded wings flying everywhere. And live ones keep buzzing around near my lights and every time I get the fly swatter out their wings fly everywhere. I hate termites and I hate their wings I hate most bugs and I think they're absolutely disgusting. Are there any solutions as to get rid of them without an exterminator? I'm desperate and I'm really ticked off about them.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Best Answer

If you are getting hundreds inside then you do have a fair amount of hidden damage happening. First up, you need to know if they are drywood termites (http://drdons.net/how-are-drywood-termites-detecte... ) or subterranean termites (http://drdons.net/pest ) because you need totally different approaches for them. There are plenty of places that will sell you DIY chemicals for termites. A lot of these seem to offer very poor options--be careful!

One thing you could do is ask some companies to come and give a free quote for the work to control them. This will give you a good idea of what the problem is without running up a bill. It may be that you decide to save up for the proper treatment. The flights will mostly be over for the season in a couple of weeks but you mustn't forget to take action as the termites are still inside eating away.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

for one thing, that doesn't sound like a "not too serious" termite problem. if they are everywhere like that and even their wings getting blown around by the fan, then you have a decent problem.

my father is an exterminator and has been for many years, so one thing you should know is that most pest control businesses don't make you pay up front and offer many discounts. so on top of a discount you can probably figure out a payment schedule/plan with them. either way, they want your business.

you can try all the in store sprays and whatnot all you want but that is not going to cure the underlying problem that you have, which is a termite infestation that's eating away at your house.

call a local exterminator and see what they can do for you.

typically termite jobs are not cheap and also depends on how big your termite problem is.

most pest control businesses also give free estimates too.

so you've got nothing to lose.

• 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do you get rid of termites?

OK, I admit my family is poor on money about things like exterminators. So we don't have the money to pay for them. And, our termite infestation isn't too serious. But we have a fair amount of flying termites in our house, and they're very gross and annoying. There are dead termites in...

Source(s): rid termites: https://tr.im/ltf3W
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Sounds as though you have something other than termites.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

there are a lot of commercials on tv that suggest using orange peels as a deterrent. don't know how they do it but i would look into it if i had a problem like yours.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.