Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 decade ago

Emancipation question?

I want to get emancipated. What age can I legally do it in PA? And when i have proof that i dont live with my parents where would i stay? How would i sign a contract to rent an apartment without being 18 yet? HELP

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

you wont be legally emancipated UNTIL you have somewhere in place to stay at. depending on your age apartments will be a tough thing to get by, some MIGHT sign to a 17 year old but if youre talking like 16 they can legally turn you down. which is the age that you have to start to be emancipated.

you have to have a genuine reason as well for wanting to be emancipated

you have to have a full time job BEFORE you start the process of being emancipated

you have to have a form of transportation

you have to prove that you can pay for your insurance, bills and other expenses all on your own with your own money (none from family, friends or the government)

and like i said before, you HAVE to have a place that already agreed to take you as a tenant before you start the paperwork

and the big one as well...you have to have parental permission.... if you dont have ONE of these then you wont be granted it.

i didnt some research on PA emancipation and it also depends on what county you are in as well because each county has different rules and legislation on emancipation

this is just one of the sources that i read:

Pennsylvania Emancipation

Posted by Priscilla

In the state of Pennsylvania emancipation is decided by a court on a case by case basis. Not all requests for emancipation are granted because the courts sometimes want to see a resolution of the family problems through mediation or some other means.

Why would a child want to be emancipated? If there is abuse or neglect in a family then a child could possibly qualify. Another way to qualify for emancipation is if the minor is married while under the age of 18. This usually requires parental consent and proof that the minor is of the “age of consent”. Finally if the minor joins the military with parental consent, the child could “automatically” qualify for emancipation.

The child who wants to be emancipated has to be at least 16 years old and a resident of Pennsylvania. The minor must prove he or she is capable of financially supporting themselves. The child cannot be a ward of the state at the time of request for emancipation. One additional note, the child has to have parental support before he or she can become emancipated.

Let’s say emancipation is granted, the parents are absolved of any responsibility for the newly emancipated child. This basically means the parents are not obligated to provide money, medical insurance or any other kind of support.

The new responsibility of emancipation still has some restrictions that are placed on the minor because in reality he or she is still underage and needs to be protected by the state in certain situations. The first of these restrictions include waiting until the minor turns 18 to vote in the state of Pennsylvania. The second restriction forces the minor to prove he or she is enrolled in school or show proof of graduation from high school. Education is important and the state takes it serious. A newly emancipated minor cannot possess or purchase alcohol, firearms or cigarettes. These protections are in place to make sure the transition from minor to adulthood is a smooth process.

Remember the minor who is emancipated is entitled to most of the adult freedoms. The child who is granted emancipation can get medical care, apply for a work permit, sign up for school and go to college and live where he/she wants. The child can buy and sell real estate, enter into legally binding contracts, get a driver’s license (at the age of 16) and many other things that adults take for granted.

It is important to remember to keep all paperwork nearby just in case the minor has to prove their emancipation status.

• 5 years ago

To get Emancipation you have to be able to show that you can take care of yourself and your baby by yourself. They will not let you use your boyfriends income in that equation. The state will need proof that if something should ever happen between you and your boyfriend before you turn 18 that you could still take care of you and the child without help from others or the state. Sorry but that is just the way it is. Otherwise all teens could get emancipated and live on public funds as soon as they had children.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be emancipated, you'll need a job that provides sufficient income and your own place to live (not the couch of a friend), you'll also need the courts permission.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.