How does tying a bow around your finger help you remember things?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's a little known fact that the nerves that define your sense of touch on your index fingers are the ones with the quickest connections routed directly to the hippocampus, the part of the brain responsible for memory. Tying a ribbon around the index finger means you constantly have a texture that's activating those nerves and thus keeping that part of the brain in alpha (high activity) mode. If you tie the ribbon (or wear a ring on your index finger, or any such apparatus) at the very moment you are trying to memorize something you mustn't forget later on, it associates that brain activity with said memory, keeping that pathway almost exclusively as a conduit for that memory.

True story.

• 1 decade ago

It helps because every time you look at the bow on your finger, you'll remember why you put it on there and you'll remember whatever it was that you wanted. It's the same as writing a note to yourself on the hand in a less direct way.

• 1 decade ago

When you see the bow, you notice it's out of the ordinary and that signifies to you that there's something else out of the ordinary that you have to remember. Hopefully the bow itself serves as a cue to what you were thinking about when you tied the bow in the first place.

I don't think anybody really uses it anymore though.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrgJ

We are not praying to the cross. It is not an idol. We ARE praying to Jesus. But sometimes we weak, silly humans need a reminder-- something physical that we can touch and feel -- to remind us of what Jesus went through for us. Kind of like tying a string around our finger to remind us to feed the dog or take out the trash. The string is NOT the dog or the trash-- it is simply a physical reminder.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Joyce
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

I have often wondered the same thing, seems like wearing a cross is not a good reminder cause of the brutality of crucifixion, maybe a fish symbol instead? But you are right about the "idol" also, i don't think of it as an idol but as a way to identify myself to other Christians and to show allegiance to Jesus Christ. Blessings to you, gave you a star!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No. Like what Neville said in Harry Potter about his Remembrall-a ball which turns red when its user forgets something-"I can't remember what I've forgotten!" I wouldn't remember either.

• 4 years ago

Jesus is not real. And you are praying to an idol thou shalt not make any graven images of any man or beast. Jesus was the name of the first slave ship. Jesus means earth pig Yahusha is real

• 1 decade ago

so when you see it, it reminds you of what u needed to do.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.