Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Catholics I was raised a Jehovahs Witness my understanding or your religion is slanted and I need clarifying?

Can you explain the saints to me and how they work in your religion?

Do you pray to them

Do you pray through them

do they mediate for you ton God and if so is there a basis in the bible for this?

Carl; information is a good thing I may agree or disagree but I want to hear their beliefs from them not from the witnesses who taint their beliefs

have as of yet to find a religion that has "Absolute Truth" I have never actually talked to Catholics about why they worship the way they do.

I have LOTS of Questions for them

I also have LOTS of questions for my Baptist Pastor

Favorite Answer

First of all it is disingenuous to state that the practice of praying for each other has no biblical foundation, we are instructed in Scripture to have a prayer life for others as it is part of God’s commandment to love one another.

(2Co 5:8 DRB) But we are confident and have a good will to be absent rather from the body and to be present with the Lord.

The Catholic Church does not teach that it is absolutely necessary for one to ask for the intercession of saints for salvation. The Church does teach that prayer to God is necessary for salvation for all believers. For a Catholic it would be wrong to ignore the liturgical worship offered to God at feast days for the saints and the prayers asking for their intercession.

The Communion of Saints is a dogma of the ancient Church and is recorded in the apostles Creed. It simply states that the faithful because of their relationship with Christ are alive even after the death of their flesh and worship with us. To us the Church is made up of the Church militant who represents all those believers living out their hope in the flesh.

(Phi 2:12 DRB) Wherefore, my dearly beloved, (as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only but much more now in my absence) with fear and trembling work out your salvation.

(Phi 2:13 DRB) For it is God who worketh in you, both to will and to accomplish, according to his good will.

It consists of the Church Suffering who are those who are temporarily in need of further purgation from sin so that they may enjoy the presence of God.

(2Ma 12:46 DRB) It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins.

Lastly, the Communion of the Saints consists of those who have won the race:

(Phi 3:14 DRB) I press towards the mark, to the prize of the supernal vocation of God in Christ Jesus.

Their immortal souls are in heaven in God’s presence:

(Rev 5:8 DRB) And when he had opened the book, the four living creatures and the four and twenty ancients fell down before the Lamb, having every one of them harps and golden vials full of odours, which are the prayers of saints.

The universal stream connecting all of God’s creation is His love, which we take on in our baptism into our journey towards sanctification. This is not an emotional but a desire placed in us by the Spirit of God that endures as a desire for those other than ourselves and this love extends even to our enemies. This is truly a love that comes only from God and is a foreign concept and nonsense to those who have not received God’s salvific grace. This desire within our souls does not end with the death of our flesh but continues into eternity where the saints through their intercession in prayer encourage us in our race and assist us to endure unto our union with God.

I think that some people of faith, who do not understand the Communion of Saints, somehow believe that asking saints to pray for us is detracting from our love or our trust in God. In truth it is impossible, if we truly love as God commands and has given us the grace to understand, not to pray to those whom we love and in turn we expect them to return that same love to us by praying for us and presenting our prayers to God.

In Christ

Fr. Joseph

People have been saying the world will end since the beginning of people. The reason why there are so many religions in the world is because some had researched them. They found things in a religion they disagreed with, and chose to join or start another. Look at how many there are. Can they all be right? They all claim to be. But that makes no sense, they would contradict themselves. However, they could all be wrong. That fits within logic. And why does a person subscribe to their religion? If you were born in another place you would likely have a different religion. Most people are the same religion as their parents. Are people born in other countries doomed simply because they were born there? It isn't their fault. If your eternal soul is at stake finding a religion that you are happy with and agree with might indeed be damning yourself. Logically it is vital to find the right one. Which brings you back to the original question. And if people modified religion for their own benefit would that not defeat the purpose? If it's your god, and they are infallible, you cannot throw out some of the rules simply because you don't like them. It's a good thing it's not real. Whenever humanity found something unexplainable they created an explanation. Sorry, but there is not a single shred of evidence to indicate that any god or gods does or has ever existed. Religion is purely a man-made concept. All religion is by definition cult. Cult often carries a negative connotation. But if you look at the definition of cult it does not mean it is only negative.

• UL...

The communion of saints are all those alive, both in heaven and on earth. Catholicism makes the distinction between mediator and intercessor. There is only one mediator (Jesus Christ), but there are many who can pray intercessory prayer for us. It's kinda like this: the mediator is the one who says to the Father, "look, I've already paid for this guy's sins...no need to send him to hell" whereas an intercessor will ask God/Jesus on your behalf for help. So while we ask saints for help, we do not worship them or consider them divine. We worship God.

You may find this website helpful: http://www.davidmacd.com/catholic/index2.htm It illustrates (fairly well) the differences between Catholics and Protestants in laymen's terms, and I think it can answer a lot of your questions.

One thing that I can certainly tell you...I have noticed that in many of the JW publications there are many a quotes from Catholic sources, yet they are misquoted to appear as though they are actually in support of JW doctrine, which is of course erroneous. Another common JW tactic is to build a straw man argument against something, and then tear down the straw man; a logical fallacy.

For further information and reading:

http://www.scripturecatholic.com/

http://catholicxjw.com/doctrines.html

http://www.bible.ca/trinity/trinity-Catholic.htm

If you have more questions or if you want some more links, feel free to email.

We ask them to pray for us. There is one "Mediator" between man and God and that is Jesus but any Christian can intercede for another through Prayer.

The first thing you need to realize is the Saints are Alive and in heaven.

Revelation 6:9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held. 10 And they cried with a loud voice, saying: How long, O Lord (holy and true) dost thou not judge and revenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

Mark 12:27

He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You therefore do greatly err.

The bible tells us the Prayer of a Righteous person does much. Who more Righteous than the Mother of God and the Saints?

Proverbs 15:29

The Lord is far from the wicked: and he will hear the prayers of the just.

James 5:16

Confess therefore your sins one to another: and pray one for another, that you may be saved. For the continual prayer of a just man availeth much.

Revelations 8:4 And the smoke of the incense of the prayers of the saints ascended up before God from the hand of the angel.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

After some time has passed and you come to know about them and their lives and their relationship with God and the church, they become like members of your family. Christ has accepted them and given them eternal life, and because He has become our brother, and they are his brothers and sisters, so we also share in that familial relationship.

John 15:15 I will not now call you servants: for the servant knoweth not what his lord doth. But I have called you friends: because all things whatsoever I have heard of my Father, I have made known to you.

Do I pray to them?

Yes, I pray to St Joseph every day to watch over certain members of my family. I pray the rosary daily, and I also pray the prayer called "The Golden Arrow" in honour of the Name of God...and also the Chaplet of Mercy now and then. I pray, on occasion, the Liturgy made by St James and St John Chrysostom.

Do they mediate for me to God?

My grandmother mediates for me! There have been many times I have felt her strength and comfort while I prayed and thought about her. (She passed away many years ago), and yes, my guardian angel watches over me, and brings people to me that I need. I have met many wonderful people, even though I have not gotten out very much at all during my life.

Fr Joe gave the answer for the bible's reasons, and I cannot say it better than he does.

i too would be concerned if you were swapping a watchtower mag for a catechism, and a governing body for a pope.

if we look at the letters jesus sent to the various churches in revelation, we find that it is the church of philadelphia that is saved. this corresponds to the protestant reformation - sola scriptura.

all other churches in the church age had specific circumstances to for the individual to overcome, and they were generally due to the imposed teachings of man.

do your research, sure, i found it fascinating myself. but the word of god is above all written by man. the watchtower, the catechism, the talmud etc, all come from man and have a human agenda. only god can be fully trusted.

the bible gives a model prayer. you speak directly to god, in the name of jesus. it is ok to ask others to pray for you.

but praying to a dead man? seems redundant when he has a god. and if we have jesus, we can approach god directly. the veil is torn now.

same as how you need a watchtower mag to prove that jesus is some angel, you also need a catechism to prove it is ok, even desirable, to pray to saints.

Saints are those who were judged to have led an exemplary life, while amongst us on Earth.

After they have died, we ask for their prayers, or more correctly, ask GOD to accept their prayers.

If a couple of miracles are granted, which have been documented, they are ruled to be with GOD.

There is only the one mediator between GOD & man, that is his only Son Jesus.

I do not know if there is a basis in the bible for it, but yeah, it more like an intermediary kind of thing. This is a very poor analogy but here it goes... The kids want dad to take them for ice cream, so they ask the baby sister of the family to be the one to ask dad, because she is is favorite.

And it is very understandable why protestants think catholics are idolators. But it isn't so. I try not to worry too much about it. All christian denominations agree on the main point, the rest is trivia.

I think of it as "same church, different pews."

Saint Mary, Saint Mathew, Saint Anthony, Saint Luke...

We pray to them for different reasons. Saint Anthony is if you lose something and you need to find it again.