promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why are female news reporters so much more attractive than male news reporters?

Why is it that if it's a female doing the news she's usually very attractive? Yet if there's a male news reporter he's usually unnattractive. Why such a huge difference?

On top of that, some of the men on tv are EXTREMELY ugly, like they have something wrong with their eyes and their eyes are crooked or something else is really wrong with their face. Why is it you'd never see an extremely ugly female doing the news?

For example shows like Regis and Kelly.

Update:

Yeah beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I don't think many people find Regis "beautiful."

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I totally agree with you, and I have ALWAYS noticed this since i was a little kid. The girls are so pretty, the guys, not so much. and they can even be old and ugly and annoying and let it all hang out.. you rarely see a disheveld woman on tv but somehow, guys are allowed .. .

From what I get out of it, TV and news is still pretty male dominated.. so they aren't going to hire any woman who isn't thin, young and attractive... women on tv are eye candy, and smile and nod their heads and stuff like 'oh that's wonderful'... and sell cleaning products and love to eat yogurt and worship the benefits antioxidants/ acai berries.

Yea, I don't know, TV is retarded, and I think that (fortunately) most people have figured out by now that it is a skewed image of the world :)

Regis is/was not exceptionally sexy, but that is beside the point-- the difference is that he's still even SEEN on TV at all, whereas female stars, you don't seem to see them around much if they aren't looking young anymore.... it sucks, it seems to be how things are right now

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • stith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Attractive News Anchors

• 1 decade ago

About 20 years ago women started appearing everywhere on T.V. The commonality was that they were all very attractive but not frivolous. This represented unheavals in our society. Feminism, womans rights issues, Pay equality issues. Thus, a layer of-- not journalists but --Talent or commentators was inserted very visibly and conciously into the Stratum. It gives the impression that the system is self rectifying.

Believe me there were studies and focus groups and polls on how to present the "woman journalist" in such a way as to maximally Pleasing particularly to women-- and to give an ackowledgement of democratic Forms, while not neccessarily increasing Democratic function for the bulk of the female Population.

Hence their almost unswerving similarities; they almost always serve the existing power structures just as their less comely male counterparts.

Amy Goodman is a Journalist, many of the others are not.

The Condelleza rice, Collin Powell phenomena is a similar veneer ackowledging the civils rights Movement without really giving equality to the bulk of the Black Population.

>>>>>>Will M

• 1 decade ago

It's because there's a double standard on television. Women are expected to be informative AND decorative. But standards have changed. You see fewer and fewer homely men as news anchors because they are now expected to be attractive, too. The men who originally started out on TV were men like Walter Cronkite, who began their careers as print journalists or on radio. Their looks didn't matter because they had paid their dues as journalists and were respected for the work they did. When the news outlets were pressured to begin adding women reporters and anchors back in the 70's, there were so few women doing that kind of work (since that career had been closed to them for so long), that the news outlets ended up hiring young women still in their 20's. That's how women like Katie Couric, Jane Pauley, Andrea Mitchell and Diane Sawyer got their start. (Barbara Walters was the one notable exception who was already in the business.) So right from the beginning women were expected to look young, fresh and decorative. Even now it's rare to see a female news anchor in her mid-50's or 60's. Their contracts just don't get renewed once they get older.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Judith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Whether what you are saying has merit or not, I think the fact that you think the black reporter deserves more time on camera because she is more attractive to be equally damning. Meloufs, where did she make a general statement about white people?

• 1 decade ago

They're probably only between 30-35 but they look like they're in their late teens. That's very important, especially to Fox News.

Regis was a good looking man when he was young. He's not bad-looking now because he takes such good care of himself. Kelly, alas, is too thin to be really pretty. They're entertainers, not journalists.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

women are judged on their looks whereas men are judged on their wit/intellect or both. There is huge pressure on women to look good on TV-notice how there's only women under 40 on TV 9 times out of 10-that is for a reason! Sad but true.

• 1 decade ago

I've noticed that there seems to be a growing trend for news-babes to channel the Kim Kardashian "look". Gross.

• 1 decade ago

coz younger guys tend to wanna do cool stuff like sports, music, acting, so only fat, old slobs seem to wanna do it and they never retire until like in their 60s....well after they get fired...

for women, men will not pay attention unless they is a "barbie doll" looka like doing the reporting..

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

I don't really know how to answer this

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.