Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Do your religious beliefs differ from those of your family? Does that cause conflicts for you?

• Esraa
    Best Answer

Most of my family has become pretty atheist. I still have a few muslims left but they're not very religious. They're mostly just the type who are muslim only in name. They'll fast during ramadan but start drinking once the sun goes down, lol. Or I have an uncle who'll womanize but act like crying tears for Huseyin during ashura will erase his sins. We don't really have any conflicts because they're pretty open minded.

My fiances side of the family (parents, some cousins and elder relatives) on the other hand is still very religious and they disowned him and rejected me because of our apostasy and atheistic beliefs. It's pretty sad because we were always nothing but kind to them and respectful of their beliefs. I know thats hard to believe after my muslim trolling on yahoo answers but really we treated them well. Too bad that fanatics or true muslims are not compatible with being civilized and getting along with those of differering beliefs :(

Well you're a pagan and I'm a Hedonist and that has caused conflict between us at times...(though most of the conflict was actually due to the fact that you always were a wordy, pedantic little goody two shoes and you used to sh!t me witless.)

But I have noticed that through many Yahoo incarnations, you've loosened up quite a bit ( morally speaking I mean) and I like you more and more now. Slappers of the family unite eh?

Let's go party on some monkey ar$e, eh sis?

• TueLom

It will be a HUGE issue. You wont be able to marry him in the temple. You'll have different views on different things. You'll have all kinds of fights, you'll have small fights over things like what is okay to watch or eat, and you'll have big fights on what you teach your children. I'm sure you do love him, but God doesn't have a soul mate for us. Theres thousands of guys out there who are a good match for you, and you can love them just as much or more than you love your boyfriend. Many of these men do have the same beliefs and goals for life that you have.

Yes, very much so.

And it has been the cause of quite a few conflicts in the past.

Because of that,

the topic isn't brought up during family get-togethers at all anymore.

Instead, there's a mutual respect brought on by the love we feel for each other.

I do sense the tension though,

lurking just below the surface..

My dad, brother, sister, aunts and uncles, cousins are all not believers, I believe in Jesus, but this causes no problems at all. We all see each other and communicate just the same as we always did. When I became a believer, it was hard work with my previously Christian husband, but after a couple of years he came back to church and now we walk together in the same beliefs. My children have also found that Jesus is alive and so we all go to church.

( my mum died 10 years ago, not a believer, before I came to know Jesus)

My family is Pentecostal, but I became a Catholic. This causes some conflict with my mother, but for the most part we've learned to discuss religion in a reasonable manner, and I have faith that we'll work out our differences. Pax!

+JMJ

Yes; I'm Jewish. My mother, although technically Jewish by birth, didn't KNOW that she was the great-granddaughter of a Jewish couple until I started doing some research into the family tree. She's not interested in it, and doesn't see why I am. That's fine with me; she's happy as she is, and at 83 years of age, change is unlikely to occur, and I'm not about to be unkind enough to force it on her - it's not my right.

No conflict because no one in the family dares brooch the subject with me. They know I'm very spiritual but not faith bound. They see me as content without religion and know how I feel about missionaries and proselytizers. In my family they know from experience not to discuss religion or politics with me.

RScott

I'm an Atheist - as are my mum, dad and two sisters. My nan is a very strict Catholic and also a bit mad. She told me I was going to Hell when I was 7. Other than that, nearly all my family are Atheist and those how aren't don't tend to talk to me about religion much.

xx

Yes, I'm a born again Christian, my Dad is Catholic and my Mum is agnostic. No conflict Usually.