Kra asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

should I take my pup's collar off when sleeping in the crate?

Okay, from what I've heard you should take your dog's collar off at night when it sleeps. I heard it was a choking hazard? 1. How could it be a choking hazard? and 2. can i leave it on her or not?

• ?
    Favorite Answer

YES.

Dog collars have been known to hook on various things and choke the dog. It's disturbingly common, so please don't ever leave your dog's collar on while it's in the crate. They get hooked on the oddest things, even things that shouldn't be able to hook anything else. I've seen it happen.

No, don't leave the collar on. If you're putting the dog in the crate, it only takes a second to remove the collar and another second to put it back on afterward. It's not worth losing your dog, is it?

The owner of the dog needs to know how to "operate" the dog, same way you can get into a car that's in perfect running order but if you don't know how to drive you won't have much luck making the car go anywhere. If the owner doesn't know how to maintain the training, the dog will soon become untrained again. Read more here https://tr.im/tHhdO

People seem to think that once a dog is trained, that's it. Not true. You must reinforce the dog's training every single day in some way. It's best if the owner and the dog go together to get trained. As a professional trainer once said to me "We can train any dog in 2 days. It takes longer to train the owners

Yes, it is a choking hazard.

If your dog tries to get out the collar can become caught and pull tight and kill your dog. Even if your dog has never before tried to escape from the crate, remove the collar before putting her in the crate.

I take my dogs collar of whenever we are in the house. I'm not saying it's completely unsafe to leave it on, but I remember when I was young we had a cat who somehow got the collar into her mouth, (I guess licking herself) and it was wedged in there and choking her. Ever since then I feel better with them off.

• Take it off.

The collar can catch on the crate and strangle the dog. Its even happened with plastic crates.

• Judith

Ok, most dogs freak when being locked in a kennel. This is normal. You have to let them figure it out. Do not give attention to bad behaviors while in the kennel such as barking ect. Try giving them a treat when they go into the kennel right after you lock the door. I did this with my lab and he now very willingly will go into the kennel. If there peeing in the kennel the kennel is to big. They should not haveroom to feel comfortable doing that. They should have room to lay down, sit up, and turn around. Thats it.

well i always take the coller off my dog at night because i like to give his neck a rest from it being on him so long. I guss it can be a choking hazard from the color getting stuck on one end of the crate. happened to my dog when he was younger lucky we were getting ready to leave and didnt leave yet.

1

Source(s): Methods of Dog Training http://DogTrainingClasses.emuy.info/?GJ51
  • Logan

yes, my dogs do not wear one in the house plus when we take a dog in to board at the kennel we ALWAYS remove the collars

Source(s): work at a pet hospital boarding kennel

Yes, i always do.

Might get it's foot stuck and pull to get it un-stuck? to question #2, not if it's a choking hazard.

Source(s): your question