What's the best drink for seniors to cool down in the hot summer days?

My friend from Thailand said they always drank hibiscus tea from morning till evening when it got really hot there and it cooled them down. I have researched it a bit and it also lowers blood-pressure and cholesterol levels, so that makes it even better for me. Know any other good drinks for summer?

I am very surprised no one has mentioned watermelon juice, easy to make...just put chunks of watermelon in a blender with ice cubes and blend. The seeds drop to the bottom of the drink. I also make cantaloupe juice. Both those fruits are very refreshing.

Favorite Answer

Any fruit and water mixes. The Japanese drink cold barley tea (tastes kind of nutty). I like iced coffee. Mom likes iced tea and lemonade. Peppermint tea. Gazpacho soup (yea, it's a soup but I like to drink it in a glass like V-8 juice).

Water is best. If you have been perspiring a lot, a tiny bit of salt added is good. Not enough to taste, but a little can help with heat exhaustion (or even sunstroke) prevention. Basically, you want to keep up the liquids, and the electrolytes. Caffeine is not a great idea, and neither is alcohol.

My father spent much time in Africa and the Middle East, and he said hot drinks helped cool you off. I do not know about the science of this, but I was raised in a very hot place, and he kept drinking hot tea in the summer all his life.

• Paula

No, nobody else has lost a family member to marijuana overdose, and your story smacks of bovine fecal material. How do you know the parents were liberal? A nineteen year old is not a kid, he's a young adult, thus his parents weren't being irresponsible. How do you know he "felt out of place"? Either this is BS or you were there, and if you were there, you could have prevented this. You say he "took a puff" and "went immediately into convulsions". It has been established by experimentation in mice that the dosage of marijuana necessary to cause an overdose is 40,000 times the amount needed to get high. There has never, in all of recorded history been a documented case of marijuana overdose leading to death. If this story is true, then I'm sure it made the papers. Please cite the newspaper article. If you can, then I apologize. If you can't, I'm calling you a liar.

Water! It is a fact that anything with caffeine in it will actually make you feel hotter..

I like caffeine free iced tea or ice water with a very small amount of apple juice or orange juice in it. Who needs to buy these flavored waters when they can flavor their own? This is good for you and better than the artificially flavored stuff. And cheaper too! But I sure do like a really really cold diet cola!

• john

Living in Atlanta,I have to suggest a Coca Cola made product so my favorite non-alcoholic drink is Power Aide Zero (Orange flavor)

Alcoholic is Budweiser Select 55.

The hibiscus tea sounds wonderful.

The makers of Angostura Bitters recommend what they call a "Southampton," which is several splashes of bitters and some lime juice mixed in a tall glass of tonic water and ice. To me, tonic water is too sweet, so I just use seltzer.

• Poppy

Iced tea with a touch of sugar and a lemon squeeze. I only drink ice cold water when I am really thirsty. Poppy

A mixture of Darjeeling and green tea (Gunpowder green tea) as ice tea. Nice flavor. Robust when made strong.

While in Spain as a young marine I was offered gazpacho and I was sure I would not like it when it was described to me and I saw it. I quickly developed a liking and a craving for it and it still remains one of my favorites though I do not know how healthy it actually is, I imagine it is much better than a cola.

http://www.spain-recipes.com/gazpacho-recipes.html

I drink lots of ice water with grenadine and a dash of lime in it. Good for you. Tea and coffee will actually dehydrate you -- I love both iced.