promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Whats a good sci-fi book for a 14 year old?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

All of these books are great sci-fi (sci-fi is my favorite genre, so I have quite a few recommendations):

The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins (It’s going to be a trilogy. The second book is Catching Fire.)

Katniss is a 16-year-old girl living with her mother and younger sister in the poorest district of Panem, the remains of what used be the United States. Long ago the districts waged war on the Capitol and were defeated. As part of the surrender terms, each district agreed to send one boy and one girl to appear in an annual televised event called, "The Hunger Games." The terrain, rules, and level of audience participation may change but one thing is constant: kill or be killed. Only the winner lives. When Kat's sister is chosen by lottery, Kat steps up to go in her place.

Unwind - Neal Shusterman

In a society where unwanted teens are salvaged for their body parts, three runaways fight the system that would "unwind" them.

Connor's parents want to be rid of him because he's a troublemaker. Risa has no parents and is being unwound to cut orphanage costs. Lev's unwinding has been planned since his birth, as part of his family's strict religion. Brought together by chance, and kept together by desperation, these three unlikely companions make a harrowing cross-country journey, knowing their lives hang in the balance. If they can survive until their eighteenth birthday, they can't be harmed -- but when every piece of them, from their hands to their hearts, are wanted by a world gone mad, eighteen seems far, far away. This was one of the first really good books I’ve read in a long time.

Uglies Series - Scott Westerfeld (and all of his other works. And these are not girly books, so don't decide against them just because of the title!)

In Tally's world, when everyone turns 16, they receive an operation that makes them beautiful. Until they receive this operation, everyone is considered horribly Ugly. To not get the operation would be unimaginable. When Tally's friend decides to run away and avoid the operation, Tally is forced to follow, and on the way, learns a horrible secret about her society.

Gone - Michael Grant (It will be a series. The sequel is called Hunger.)

In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents - unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers - that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else... I loved this book. I stayed up for hours reading it. The writing isn’t the best, but the plot is amazing.

Skinned - Robin Wasserman (It’s going to be a trilogy. The second book is Crashed)

Lia had a perfect life until she almost died in a car crash. Her body was destroyed, so her mind was downloaded into a new body that only looks human. She will never eat, feel pain, or age again. Society is against her, and everyone like her. It's a pretty good book.

A Hole in the Sky – Pete Hautmen

It’s 2038. A deadly Flu virus ravages the Earth. Only 1 in every 2000 people survives the Flu. Earth’s population: 38 million. Ceej Kane lives with his uncle and Survivor sister in an abandoned hotel at the rim of the Grand Canyon. They’re just trying to stay alive. This was a really good book. Pete Hautmen is a great author.

Truancy - Isamu Fukui (He’s just written a prequel to it. It’s called Truancy Origins.)

When school rules a child's life, along with cruel leaders and teachers, a group of kids try to fight the system. Tack thinks he know what side he's on, especially when someone he cares about is hurt in a crossfire between the two sides, but after some time, he's not sure anymore. I liked the book. My friend wouldn't read it because it was too violent for her, but I thought it was good though. (but I didn't like the ending)

The House of the Scoripion – Nancy Farmer

To most people around him, Matt is not a boy, but a beast. A room full of chicken litter with roaches for friends and old chicken bones for toys is considered good enough for him. But for El Patrón, lord of a country called Opium -- a strip of poppy fields lying between the U.S. and what was once called Mexico -- Matt is a guarantee of eternal life. El Patrón loves Matt as he loves himself for Matt is himself. They share identical DNA.

This was a really good book. I stayed up all night reading it.

The Knife of Never Letting Go – Patrick Ness (It’s going to be a trilogy. The secondbook is called The Ask and the Answer.)

Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown. But Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in a constant, overwhelming, never-ending Noise. There is no privacy. There are no secrets. Or are there?

Just one month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd unexpectedly stumbles upon a spot of complete silence. Which is impossible. Everyone in Prentisstown has been lying to him his entire life. And now he's going to have to run...

Good book. It's written in dialect, and that's a little hard to get used to, but once you do, it's really great.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tammie
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

The Obernewtyn Chronicles by Isobelle Carmody. It deals with a post-apocolyptical world where some people (named 'misfits') have been given special abilities and are treated as outcasts. There's a lot more to them, but it's hard to say much without giving away crucial plotlines. I think they'd be appropriate for a 14 year old girl. I'm 19, and I started reading them when I was 10, and my younger sister is 14 and has just started reading them.

• Kelley
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary K Pearson

Turnabout by Margaret Peterson Haddix

• 10 years ago

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

There are so many good books!! If you like scifi fantasy though i would recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. He is a very good author and there are a few other titles that he has written as well that are just as good.

• 10 years ago

The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It's not amazing but it's still pretty good and its definitely worth reading.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

twilight by stephenie meyer

vampire academy by richelle mead

vampire diaries by lj smith

house of night by pc cast

inheritance cycle by christopher paolini

chronicles of ancient darkness by michelle paver

harry potter by jk rowling

lord of the rings by jrr tolkein

dark is rising by susan cooper

chronicles of narnia by cs lewis

the spook by joseph delaney

these are just my faves. :D

Source(s): fantasy bookworm
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Pendragon seires defentily. The host is good too... but pendragon series defintily

• 10 years ago

the host, the hunger games, 1984, flowers for algernon, brave new world

• 10 years ago

the host

Source(s): <3
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.