Bea asked in PetsCats · 10 years ago

Need a bit of help/advice?

Hello,

so i have a 7 weeks old kitten , maybe a bit older, vet is not sure. I need help with all the info necessary for taking care of such a small kitten.

I did talk to vet, but I live in really bad country , where people don't care much about animals, and vets are not much better for most part, and the woman I went to didn't give me any security, I will take him to my old vet ,but at the moment he is out of the country.

I have read tons of site about kitten care and heard and read so many different things:

one say give him milk, others don't

one say feed him dry food, others feed him only wet food..etc.

Also I am afraid I am overfeeding him , I have a 10 year old cat ( she stayed with my parents when i moved with my boyfriend since it was better place for her and she is my moms cat anyway) and she will stop eating when she is full, i don't think this kitten would. He constantly asks for food, i try to ignore it , but its hard at times. Also he doesn't seem to drink water much or at all ( he is here for 3 days and I only saw him drinking water once), I do feed him wet food mostly so maybe he gets enough water from it.

He sneezes from time to time, which kind scares me. Could this be from the dust ( yes my place is not sparkling clean but i plan to do that as well..)? He seems like he is going to trow up from time to time and then nothing happens.

Also when he goes to the bathroom ( well his litter box) he sometimes meows once or twice, even if he didn't do anything. Does he have problems with it? Since he is here he pees about 2, 3 times a day , maybe more and did poop every day.

Well that all I could think of , he is really happy kitten, playing a lot, has really, really good appetite, sleeps a lot and all that.

Could you please help me with this, tell me what food and brand ( leave a link please) should I give to him? Is royal canin good for him ( its most expensive food we have here, and i don't think i can find anything better but still please leave a link). Also how many times and how much food should i give him and what food wet or dry? Should i give him milk or not?

Sorry for this much questions, I am just paranoid owner of a very little baby.

Favorite Answer

Don't apologize for all the questions, You're to be commended for wanting to do the best you can for this little guy!

First off, cats are generally "Lactose intolerant", meaning they aren't able to properly digest the milk sugar, lactose, in cow's milk products, resulting in stomach upset & diarrhea. You could try giving him specific "cat milk" preparations, if you have pet food stores in your area that sell those, (they come in little rectangular cartons, like kid's drink boxes) or ask the vet if you can give him Lactose-free milk, which a lot of dairies are making now for Lactose-intolerant people. He's probably drinking more water than you realize, but if you want to make sure, try adding some of the liquid from a can of tuna packed in water, or some chicken broth to plain water to encourage him to drink. Most of all, be sure the water itself is always fresh and clean! As for your concern about "overfeeding" him, it's usually preferable to let a growing kitten eat as much as he wants--they burn it off with their activity! At the shelter where I work, we leave out a bowl of dry for them to nibble at will throughout the day, and give them a few tablespoons of wet twice a day. If his poop seems really hard for him to get out, then all wet food for a while may help loosen him up, but sometimes too much wet causes kittens to have diarrhea. Dry kibble helps keep their teeth clean, and the wet is a treat they look forward to a few times a day. So, if he likes & eats the dry, by all means let him eat it. Mother cats stimulate their young kittens to pee & poop by licking their bottoms for them for the first few weeks until the babies' organs are fully functioning for elimination. He may be a bit constipated, especially if you're correct that he's not getting enough water. If he cries a lot and can't poo, or his poop is very hard, small lumps when it does come out, you may need to get him to eat a bit of petroleum jelly (Vaseline) or some hairball remedy gel to help him loosen up his stools over a few hours. He may need to have the vet's office lubricate inside his anus with Vaseline to move a blockage out if it is too difficult for him. This also could be causing the retching or vomiting---after all, he can't put so much in, if it's not coming out the other end! Hairball gel should help with that as well.

Royal Canin is an excellent food for cats, and they have two very good Kitten formulas, including "BabyCat", (pink bag?) which is a very tiny kibble, easy for small kittens to chew & digest. Most Kitten foods, however, should be fine also.

Kittens often are born with a type of Herpes virus that causes respiratory illness, (colds) & eye & nasal discharge, (& sneezing) so his sneezing could be a result of that. If you hear coughing with the sneezing or see lots of discharge or crusty stuff in his eyes or nose, he will need medicine from the vet to clear up an upper respiratory infection. If he sneezes once in a while but has otherwise clean, clear eyes & nose without any discharge, watering or mucus, then it may be just the dust you mentioned. Either way, be sure to follow up with the vet you trust when he gets back, and get a full check-up as well as first vaccinations for the kitten. Those first shots are very important for a young kitten, especially if their immunity is not completely built up, if they were separated from their mother early. The vet should check him for ear mites, & if he has worms, that also could cause him to seem to want to eat all the time.

I hope this helps, and that soon you can change the phrase "paranoid owner of a very little baby" to "PROUD owner of a big, healthy baby!" Good Luck!

Hi. First off, don't give him milk. Cat's cannot digest cow's milk, so he will get an upset tummy. I feed my cat's dry food, and I leave it out all the time. How often you feed, really is up to you. Cat's are "grazers" by nature, so they will eat a few bites here and there. You can always switch to scheduled feedings if he gets overweight, but that really won't happen until he is an adult. I would feed him dry food only. You will spend less money, he will not gain as much weight, and dry food will be better for his teeth. You may have to mix a little of the canned food in with the dry to wean him off the canned food. They, of course, like canned food better, as it is higher in fat, so it tastes better. It is kinda like you having the choice between a McDonald's salad, or hamburger. Cat's really do not drink all that much. Well, not as much as dogs, anyway. He will drink less eating the canned food, as it has a pretty high water content.

Sneezing occasionally is nothing to worry about. Cat's are pretty susceptible to Upper Respiratory Viruses that will cause sneezing. Watch for discharge (that is any color other than clear) from his eyes or nose. As long as there is no discharge, he should be fine.

As far as the litterbox, you did not describe anything that sounds scary. It sounds like he is going enough, but not too much.

Royal Canin is the BEST food you could feed him. It is what all my cats eat, and what my dog eats. Make sure you are feeding him the kitten food, as they need the extra calories in the kitten food while they are growing. When he hits 10-12 months, you can switch him over to an the adult food. Make sure any time you switch his diet (even the same brand, but different formula) you do it gradually. Do it over 7-10 days, starting with 75% old food mixed with 25% new food for a couple of days, then gradually decrease the old and increase the new. If not done gradually, you will either have a cat that refuses to eat (which is a BAD thing) or a cat with an upset tummy.

I hope this help you.

Source(s): I have been a veterinary assistant for about 13 years, and have several cats of my own. I also foster and bottle feed orphaned kittens.

Okay 1st come down.I got a kitten she is 9weeks old but when i got her she was 6 weeks she meow a few time when she would use the litter box but that was when i first got her.I feed my kitten Purina one(dry)that may not be the most expensive food but she seem to like it and my vet thinks its great food for her.I may feed her wet food maybe once a week.she drinks water which i think since your kitten is 7weeks old he/she should be drinking water.Try putting some on your finger and get the kitten to lick it off.but since you give your kitten wet food its getting water from there.So i hope i help you and enjoy your kitten

I'd start by turning him out. Put him in something solid and the size of a big round pen, with shelter so if the weather suddenly turns bad no one has to traumatize him by rushing him to get caught and put in. Give him a few weeks to settle in to his pen, feed him as much hay as he can eat, and let him see other horses in nearby pens. Feed him grain at the same time and in the same place, every day. He'll get so he expects his feed and will be waiting at the bucket for it. Once he's adjusted and begins acting like a horse, you can start working with him. I would start with touch. Work on getting close enough to him to touch him, then walk away before he moves away. I would work on getting him used to touches all over his front end, then work on halter breaking him, if he isn't already. You want to be able to control him from the ground before you start working around his back end or feet. It's a long process and this will likely take you a few months to accomplish if you do it every day. The next logical steps are to get him used to brushing, to having his feet handled and to ground work. Don't rush it, take your time. Dealing with abused horses is never easy and never goes 100% to plan. Get help from a trainer when you need it, BEFORE things get out of control or a serious problem develops. At 12, it is unlikely that he will ever be safe for a complete novice, but he might surprise you if you give him the chance. Usually, once a horse gets over fear it can tolerate just about anything from someone it trusts, and eventually learn to tolerate things from people it doesn't know.