Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceSmall Business · 1 decade ago

what could be external weaknesses and strengths in a business?

I need examples of external weaknesses and strengths in a business. Please could somone help.

Favorite Answer

A SWOT analysis is the examining of an organisations Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities and Threats. Strengths and Weaknesses are internal to the organisation. Opportunities and Threats are external to the organisation. I think it will be easier for you to identify these if you use the terms 'Opportunities' and 'Threats' rather than 'strengths' and 'weaknesses'.

Opportunities would be things like - competitor mistakes/problems, new markets opening up, change in economic/political climate that can be exploited by the organisation ie enlargement of EU - workforce mobility, dropping of trade barriers and tariffs etc

Threats would be as above but opposite; ie competitors revealing marketing leading product/expansion, corporation taxes and trade duties increasing etc etc

If you want to be really thorough, you can do a PESTLE analysis which will give you ALL external opportunities and threats of an organisation.

Political - new Government policies affecting business? EU effect etc

Economic - ie slowing coming out of recession; positive for business as consumer spending increases.

Social - ie people more health conscious so if you are a fast food company it is a threat as it makes you product look bad, but an opportunity to increase product range as there will be increased demand for healthy alternatives.

Technlogical - any advances/changes/problems in technology either by your suppliers or competitors (ie advanced production lines etc) or everyone (such as the fast growth of internet) affects your business and it is up to the business to change it from a threat to an opportunity by adapting to it quickly and efficiently

Legal - ie food labelling laws, distance selling laws etc etc - all legislation relevant to the organisation must be adhered to which sometimes will constitute a threat if it means you must change your processes but remember that competitors will also be subject to the same laws

Environmental - eg new environmental regulations on matters such as waste disposal/pollution also need to be considered if your organisation produces waste

Basically you just look at the bigger picture, what is going on in the market, with your competitors and in the wider world so that you can identify how you can guard/make the most of them to minimise risk and maximise profitability.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): BCom

I suppose one could argue either, but I see it as thus... By making redundancies two obvious weaknesses present. One being the company cannot cope under market pressures. The other could be bad recruitment, where too many were employed in the first place. In other words, overstaffed. Yet I suggest this is more of a threat. Reasons being :- - The employee morale may detoriate - The company reputation may be poorer - Redundant staff may slander the employer - Costs of redundancy pay - Costs of possible unfair dismissal claims - Costs of any promised pension for redundant staff - Costs of wasted equipment once used - More pressure on those personnel remaining - Costs of meeting any demand improvements: viz. recruitment; induction; and training. They'll be more but I'm no professor of business. However, I hope I've helped...

Dear I suggest you to see http://www.onlinebusinessmall.com/

I hope this will help you to get answer of your question. Keep Using answers.yahoo.com

Best of Luck

Weaknesses - Competition, marketing of products, finance.

Strengths - you are the boss, need not be under any one, choose to do whatever you wish.