Who can a TDCJ inmate parole to?

I am engaged to a life long friend and now current inmate of the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice. We want to wait until he is paroled to get married, but have been told that he can only parole to a family member. Does anyone know if this is true. I have searched the Texas Board of Pardons and Parole website and if the answer is there I have missed it. Could someone please point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Stuart, are you telling me that they can ONLY parole to family members, and where are you finding this information? Please and thank you.

• Stuart
    Favorite Answer

The concept of parole is this: the person is still serving time, but instead of serving time in prison, they are allowed to serve time at home. Pretty sweet deal.

The parole board grants parole based on the idea that the person will be able to make a good transition from prison to the community, and typically, a family support environment helps that transition along better than any other.

You can petition the parole board to be allowed to take the inmate into your care - they would probably want you to appear in person and bring a load of character witnesses on your behalf - and they might consider your special request. You could also petition the warden to allow you to go ahead and marry the person - that would make you a family member - but that's a little far-fetched in most prisons.

Another possibility is that he could simply parole to a family member, and then get permission from his parole officer to either marry or move in with you down the road a ways. That's not unheard of, but you'd be under just as much of a microscope as he would in any of these cases.

Remember, while on parole, the PO can (and probably will) wake you folks up at three AM to have him pee in a cup or to search his belongings.

You're taking on a person who is bringing a ton of baggage, and it'll be your baggage, too. Think on these things.

Good luck.

- Stuart

1

Source(s): Criminal Records Search Database - http://criminalrecords.raiwi.com/?Kilv

Criminal Records Search Database : http://infosearchdetective.com/