Do I need to give written authorization to my husband so that he can sell our jointly owned house?

We own a house jointly in Alabama. We are currently out of state, but he will be there in a few weeks and try to sell our house. I will not come with him. Do I need to give him some type of authorization / power of attorney or anything so that he can take care of the deal all by himself?

5 Answers

  • Debdeb
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

    You can probably get a power of attorney for him to be able to do this. Call a title company in Alabama and ask them about it. If you're going to use a real estate agent in AL, he would probably know.

  • Ross
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

    Depending on the laws of your state but in most states even if your name is not on the deed of the property and you are married your name is as good as being ont he deed because you are married. If that is the case in your state you have to sign every document / contract dealing with the sale of that home. There is no substitute for your signature other than a death certificate, or court order of some sort (divorce) that states otherwise.

    Your Realtor should be advising you on this.

  • 10 years ago


  • 10 years ago

    No you do not. The only time your signature will be needed is at closing.

    Source(s): RE Broker
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

    I have met similiar problem before, here list of sites

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.