What exactly are draw reins used for?

What exactly are breaker reins used for? I have a 4 year old 14.2hh gelding, he is a lovely horse to work with and is eager to learn, but he has problems with holding his head too high, he has been bred for jumping and jumps 1m easily, tho we don't push him to that height as he is still so young. Recently I... show more What exactly are breaker reins used for?
I have a 4 year old 14.2hh gelding, he is a lovely horse to work with and is eager to learn, but he has problems with holding his head too high, he has been bred for jumping and jumps 1m easily, tho we don't push him to that height as he is still so young.
Recently I have been working to bring his head down and onto the bridle. I have added a running martingale to try to encourage his head down, although it isn't helping at all.

Will draw reins help? Some people have told me to try them? But i'm not sure. Will this damage his soft mouth? I ride with soft hands and a happy mouth snaffle, so his mouth doesn't get pulled at too much, I don't want to push him too much as he's still so young, but I feel that having him schooled properly is really really important.
help? (: