Ways of getting rid of musty/moldy smell from front loading washing machine?

I have seen products on the shelves of my local stores to clean front loading machines, but I was wondering if there was a 'home remedy' to the problem?? Thanks.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

First open the door and reach your hand way into the rubber door seal at the bottom and run your hand around.You can also grab the seal and pull it up , sort of inside out to check it for mold and slime. Clean this thoroughly with a bleach water solution. Then check the filter it is located either in a round cover at the bottom of the washer or inside the bottom cover, depends on the model. The filter may be clogged up retaining some water. After all is clean then run a cycle with a cup of white vinegar thru with no clothing. To prevent the seal from getting moldy the best solution is to leave the door open a little bit after using so the excess water evaporates. You can also wipe out the seal with a hand towel after each use. Try this link for acessing the filter.

http://appliancehelponline.com/frontloadwasher.htm...

• Daniel
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

First, make sure the seal is clean around the loading door. This is where a lot of mold and mildew seems to accumulate. Then you can run about a cup of white vinegar through with the wash. It doesn't really matter when you do this, it will deodorize any load of laundry and your machine. But it might work a little bit better if you add it to a load of warm/ hot/ whites (depending on how you run your machine/loads).

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.