Why can't i decide where my tax dollars go?

i want to decided where my taxes go and i want a receipt..why can't the federal gov"t give me a receipt on my tax dollars? for example if i get taxed 100 dollars i want to be able to say $20 go to health care $50. to education and $30 to the national defense. I do not want any of my money going to foreign aid when we have problems here in the USA... why cant or wont the IRS or the Federal Gov't do that

my receipt is to prove that the departments i want to get my tax dollars get them

Favorite Answer

Because they are taxes, that's why. You can decide who you want to represent you in the government and let them make those decisions and vote against them if you don't like what they are doing.

• C Smith6 years agoReport

That's a nice thought but when you get to choose between a turd sandwich and a giant douche like in most elections their interests don't always match their constituents.

Even if this was a good idea, logistically, agencies could not possibly produce annual budgets and anticipate allocation of resources if they had to wait for and collate every tax payer's specific funding requests every year. How could you sustain an active and ready military, for example, if they have to wait to see how many soldiers and equipment they could afford? Agencies would end up having to spend huge amounts of time and money 'advertising' their service(s) to the public in the hopes of getting enough public support, diverting the funds from such services. Besides, everyone would want to fund 'popular' services or those which benefit them personally, and no one would fund necessary but unpopular or unpleasant services.

• Judy

By law your elected officials make those decisions. They are elected by the people they make the decisions for.

As for a receipt, if they're deducted from your paycheck, your pay stub is your receipt. What would you do with a receipt anyway?

Well if you know the exact amount you pay in federal taxes, you can just find out exact amounts for each sector from the percentages in the govts tax budget. Check out this website for the numbers http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258

You do have a say. Contact your elected representatives. When enough people demand action, it happens.

Your tax return is your receipt for what you paid.

Sorry, the system doesn't work like that. Your elected representatives (not individual citizens) decide "where the money goes." It's called a representative democracy and you can't change it.

Congress can, but chooses not to do so, because you would choose not to have money go where Congress wants it to go (including paying Congress).

The IRS cannot because Congress prohibits the IRS from doing so.

• tro

that's what you elect your senators and representatives to do for you

let them know how you want your tax dollars spent, this is a representative type government

You already do.

You are represented by two Senators and a US Representative in DC.

• Anna3

lol.. why can't they.. well because your tax dollars are going into their pockets =o) im convinced!